Opinion on short or long videos.

George Hudson

Posting Mad!
So My recent videos have been no longer then 6 minutes.
I have tried to keep them shorter so I can get more engagement and watch times on the videos.
What is your opinion to help grow and keep viewer interest.. Longer videos or shorter videos?

Longer videos for sure. You'll get more watch time that way. If you make a 3 min video and you have 50% of video watched, you only get 1 min and 30 seconds on average, but if you have a 10 min video with only 30% of video watched you bank 3 mins on average. YouTube prefers you hold attention for longer. The best way to hold viewer interest is to make longer videos and do these things:

1) hook them within the first 15 seconds by establishing the purpose of the video, or clipping the most interesting part of the video in the begging. Personally since vlogs are more of a story, what I'd do is edit your videos like a novel. Beginning, climax, conclusion. Establish the setting, build to the most existing part of the day, and then conclude the vlog/day.

2) Provide new substance to the viewer. Often I see videos that are just recycled content from another video or mundane content that no cares for. Since you're a small youtuber I don't expect you to make videos of you riding jet-skis in Dubai lol but you shouldn't try and elevate a mundane video to seem exciting because it never works. Honestly, vlogging is really hard because you have to already have something exciting going on to film. I'd recommend trying different types of videos to bring attention to your channel first, and then slowly start to introduce vlogging when your viewers are curious about your life.

3) Work on audio as much as you work on video. Video isn't just a visual medium its a auditory one as well. Small things like your voice being too low, or a constant rumbling in the background can turn people off.

4) Lastly, Be unique. I see from your video you've taken a lot of inspiration from Casey Neistat, especially with music choice and transition shots. Those are great, but try and inject more of your own creative ideas into your vlogs. Why would someone watch your videos if they can just hop over and watch Casey? Give em a reason to stay.

Hope this helped! Good luck!

Longer videos for sure. You'll get more watch time that way. If you make a 3 min video and you have 50% of video watched, you only get 1 min and 30 seconds on average, but if you have a 10 min video with only 30% of video watched you bank 3 mins on average. YouTube prefers you hold attention for longer. The best way to hold viewer interest is to make longer videos and do these things:

1) hook them within the first 15 seconds by establishing the purpose of the video, or clipping the most interesting part of the video in the begging. Personally since vlogs are more of a story, what I'd do is edit your videos like a novel. Beginning, climax, conclusion. Establish the setting, build to the most existing part of the day, and then conclude the vlog/day.

2) Provide new substance to the viewer. Often I see videos that are just recycled content from another video or mundane content that no cares for. Since you're a small youtuber I don't expect you to make videos of you riding jet-skis in Dubai lol but you shouldn't try and elevate a mundane video to seem exciting because it never works. Honestly, vlogging is really hard because you have to already have something exciting going on to film. I'd recommend trying different types of videos to bring attention to your channel first, and then slowly start to introduce vlogging when your viewers are curious about your life.

3) Work on audio as much as you work on video. Video isn't just a visual medium its a auditory one as well. Small things like your voice being too low, or a constant rumbling in the background can turn people off.

4) Lastly, Be unique. I see from your video you've taken a lot of inspiration from Casey Neistat, especially with music choice and transition shots. Those are great, but try and inject more of your own creative ideas into your vlogs. Why would someone watch your videos if they can just hop over and watch Casey? Give em a reason to stay.

Hope this helped! Good luck!

Thank you for this, is very helpful and will be taking all tips on board. never seen a casey video.... I KNOW RIGHT STRANGE, but I can see where you are coming from. Will give it a go to try and create something more me.

I've been told to make longer videos for ASMR, big ASMR channels tend to create videos that are longer than 30mins. I don't know how effective it is for my channel though, although I see some kind of increase in watch time, but I feel that it didn't make a huge difference.

So My recent videos have been no longer then 6 minutes.
I have tried to keep them shorter so I can get more engagement and watch times on the videos.
What is your opinion to help grow and keep viewer interest.. Longer videos or shorter videos?

Many factors influence the choice of which optimal video length to use. Very important subject of your content. What is your channel about?

Viewer interest lays in quality.

And for amateurs it is definitely easier to make shorter videos more quality and keep the life going on imo.

That is why I do like short tutorials and from recently started to engage young local musicians to record music covers.

So my idea is to stay on videos maybe even no longer than 4 minutes.

But that is just my opinion.

Viewer interest lays in quality.

And for amateurs it is definitely easier to make shorter videos more quality and keep the life going on imo.

That is why I do like short tutorials and from recently started to engage young local musicians to record music covers.

So my idea is to stay on videos maybe even no longer than 4 minutes.

But that is just my opinion.
I agree with you. Longer videos are worth using for a more loyal and interested audience. And of course, the quality of the content itself should be up to standard in order for retention statistics to be within acceptable limits.

Back