Need Opinions for Violence and Video Games Discussion

That's what I said. With the difference that this goes for both sides. People tend to only do background checks on studies they don't like (if they check at all) while blindly accepting anything that correlates with their opinion.

As for your example: There is no official was to measure aggression? Well then it's not only difficult to proof a correlation but also to disproof it...

You can't actually measure aggression. Bias studies has made some strange adrenaline measurements. The thing is that those who are against fps games always bring up the rage as a point of interest in the discussion. But every sane person know that you don't go on a killing spree just because you've been angry with a game. I think most people who've played any kind of game know that you get angry sometimes. There are actually many games that arent violent at all that'll make you rage more than an fps game.

As I said before the debate is watered down since there are way too many studies and cases in society that proves that gaming has no correlation with violence. There are far worse and more obvious things that causes school shootings the politicians should focus on.

That's what I said. With the difference that this goes for both sides. People tend to only do background checks on studies they don't like (if they check at all) while blindly accepting anything that correlates with their opinion.

As for your example: There is no official was to measure aggression? Well then it's not only difficult to proof a correlation but also to disproof it...

So the age old argument of 'you cant prove there is a god so there isn't' vs 'you can't prove there isn't a god so there is'

and as they go into detail on their topic they have proposed it isn't about levels of violence or aggressions, its the violent tragedies which they are focusing on. Now i don't think there is one person who would argue against the fact that they are mentally unstable. But one really big point that has been made upon all these tragedies is that only a handful of the people actually played video games.

So the age old argument of 'you cant prove there is a god so there isn't' vs 'you can't prove there isn't a god so there is'

No. The age old point to check your sources. Especially the ones that argue in your favor. Because even the most competent enemy can't hurt your cause as much as an incompetent advocacy...

(And that god argument is utter b******t anyway, but does put atheists in a slightly better position. You can only proof the existence of something, definitely proofing the non-existence of something is impossible, cause it could always be in a place where you just haven't been able to look. So the obligation to provide proof is on the side of the believers, while atheists can just lean back and say "nope, that wasn't it either", while any christian demanding proof from an atheists just makes a fool of himself and disqualifies himself from any intelligent conversation...)

But there is a lot of facts to prove that there is no correlation, its not even about opinion anymore it is a proven fact. To be brutally honest i think the subject shouldn't be brought up anymore ( Now that's an opinion )

^this
especially on the last part. I'm tired on people bringing this up when the vast majority nearly unanimously agree it obviously has no correlation. It's like arguing whether or not slavery is okay. Everyone already knows the answer to that, why do we need to still discuss it?

but to answer your question directly; no. Crazy does crazy no matter what ways crazy does crazy. I bet 100 years ago people blamed violent books for the start of wars.

Whoa, you guys rock! Thanks for all of the responses! You can watch Face Rockin': Do Video Games Cause Violence? on June 3rd on our channel. If we selected your comment, it'll appear in the episode as a text graphic on the screen. We do this every month, so if your comment didn't get selected this time you still have a chance next time. Thanks again!

Tim-Dance-No-Text.gif

The studies that have proven no correlation have more to do with the idea that it's not the fact that it is a video game that causes the problem.

There is a clear correlation between the potential for violence and any activity that increases adrenaline whether that be video games, professional wrestling, pro sports of other kinds, etc.

The predisposition of the user is also something to take into account.

in my opinion i don't thing video games make children violend and are corrupting societey. im a gamer myself and have played my share violent video games, the thing with these people that become hostile and dangerous from these games is that they are not exacly... lets say very bright in some ways. a year or so back there was a shooting in Norway, the shooter apperently had trained his skills with the game Call of duty modern warfare 2 and always seemed like a normal guy to the neightborehood. this shows that very normal people can be violent, but whenever that is because they played certain games has never been proved. i think you should hold parents responsible for their childrens actions, its not the task of the government to raise those kids! its up to the parents to make sure their 10 year olds dont play mature rated games (because that happens).
also in America guns are allowed and almost every household has a firearm somewhere in it, if people would stop blaming games and other media for once and have a look at whats really happening they would start thinking, maybe its too easy to get guns, maybe the current laws allow you to have too many or too powerfull guns.

so long story short.
no, video games do not lead to violent actions in real life and is not corrupting our society, as a matter of fact gamers are often the more social people with more connections that anyone else. parents should be more aware of what their kids are playing.[DOUBLEPOST=1369774764,1369774741][/DOUBLEPOST]in my opinion i don't thing video games make children violend and are corrupting societey. im a gamer myself and have played my share violent video games, the thing with these people that become hostile and dangerous from these games is that they are not exacly... lets say very bright in some ways. a year or so back there was a shooting in Norway, the shooter apperently had trained his skills with the game Call of duty modern warfare 2 and always seemed like a normal guy to the neightborehood. this shows that very normal people can be violent, but whenever that is because they played certain games has never been proved. i think you should hold parents responsible for their childrens actions, its not the task of the government to raise those kids! its up to the parents to make sure their 10 year olds dont play mature rated games (because that happens).
also in America guns are allowed and almost every household has a firearm somewhere in it, if people would stop blaming games and other media for once and have a look at whats really happening they would start thinking, maybe its too easy to get guns, maybe the current laws allow you to have too many or too powerfull guns.

so long story short.
no, video games do not lead to violent actions in real life and is not corrupting our society, as a matter of fact gamers are often the more social people with more connections that anyone else. parents should be more aware of what their kids are playing.

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1370298149][/DOUBLEPOST]
As much as I love a good shooter, I kind of feel like violence in games and movies has changed me. I'm not saying I'm getting ideas of going out and killing people, but I feel that violence in video games and movies does have somewhat of an impact on people. I think it's stupid to blame these mass shootings and other horrific instances on video games, but at the same time I feel that kids being introduced to violent games at an early age is detrimental. I feel it limits your thinking to an extent, after you get that rush of adrenaline in an action game, you find it somewhat boring to go back to more creative activities, sometimes. That's just my opinion, can't wait for GTA 5 though! haha

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1370298213][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've served in the army abroad, been in live fire fights and I draw no parallels with shooters and real life.

Video games is an escape from reality and the vast majority who play do not enjoy killing people in games. We play it for the action and for whatever reasons but people who don't play doesnt know that. It will change in time though as the gaming generation start to step into leading possitions right now. The first generation in the fps generation should be around 30-40 old now. Give it a few years and I think this discussion is dead and watch a new thing appear.

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1370298246][/DOUBLEPOST]
But there is a lot of facts to prove that there is no correlation, its not even about opinion anymore it is a proven fact. To be brutally honest i think the subject shouldn't be brought up anymore ( Now that's an opinion )

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1370298291][/DOUBLEPOST]
I believe there was a study done that said as shooter games have become more prevalent, gun related violence has gone down (in the U.S). I'll look it up and edit this post if I find it.

I think it's funny how people like to try and use video games as a scape goat, yet there are 10000000 shows on T.V about murder mysteries and psychopaths and nobody says anything about that nowadays xD.
Regardless, they're rated M for MATURE people, if you're not mature, you should not own a shooter game.

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1370298346][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah there are studies to show that violent video games does not cause violent people. Honestly i feel its just common sense. Video games are relatively new to the world but violence sure isn't, how can anyone blame violence on something that is still new. Violence didn't start 40 years ago. They use it as a scapegoat but in my opinion the real issue is the quality of life, and societal pressure put upon people.[DOUBLEPOST=1369773790,1369773723][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hilary Clinton Wanted to ban GTA

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input![DOUBLEPOST=1370298466][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, to be fair, there also have been studies which came to the conclusion that there are correlations. It always depends on which side payed for the study. Never trust statistics that you haven't forged yourself...

That being said:
@ Bros
I don't think that you're going to find too many con voices in a place like this and it isn't really a good discussion if everyone agrees with one another.

An excerpt from your post was included in our video. It's available on our channel now if you're interested. Thanks for your input!

Back