my viral video made my channel worse than it was before (help)

puzzLEGO

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
ok so about a few months ago I was about on 7 or 8 thousand subs. my youtube channel was going well, with most videos getting good views for what I had (I generally consider viewcounts which are at least half of subscriber count to be good), and some videos even getting 10,000 - 50,000 views
However, I made some experimental videos which ended up going viral (6.2 million views, 1.8 million, 923k, 670k, 456k, 137k). Of course viral videos are good, and I got plenty of new subscribers (I'm on about 50k now), but there was one problem.
The videos that got all of those subscribers weren't usually videos that I would make, and also are slowly becoming irrelevant (they had to do with among us which is now a dying game).
which is fine, but when I starting releasing the videos I used to, my click-through rates dropped as the majority of my audience weren't interested in it. Now most of my videos get about
2000 - 5000 views, when they used to get 2500 - 10000+ views
any ideas or tips?
my channel: youtube.com/puzzlego (sort by view count to see what videos I'm talking about)

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sounds like experimentation carries a risk of attracting the wrong audience for your usual content. At the same time it's a good opportunity for faster growth. I would say figure out what is more important to you, maybe the risk can be decreased while still enjoying the growth opportunities.

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'd stick to what you enjoy. If the content is at least (sorta) similar, you'll keep at least some of the new audience.

Graphic Designer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't worry, over time, the people who don't want to see your regular content will unsubscribe and you will be left with a core group of subs who like your regular content. And hopefully your stats will return to their normal values.

Maybe create a separate channel to test experimental videos.

Rhody Seth

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I tend to agree with the above posts. Your videos may be lagging a bit compared to what they were doing but you got such a huge bump from those successful videos that I suspect you're still very much ahead. Keep at it!

puzzLEGO

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with all of you. I have made some higher quality vids recently and they have done really well in terms of avg view duration and click-through. seems that youtube doesn't recommend it to them anymore, so there's no situation where they ignore it

Darkdeviix

Reaction score
Well it depends on what you're going for. There are certain videos I'm interested in for people I'm subscribed to, so I'm not going to watch every single one unless you're like Dunkey. You could keep following the trend of what you were doing and adapt to it or do what you were personally going for.