deleted

Your videos are good - just watched the viewbotting one to the end, and my attention span for stuff I'm not actively seeking is typically less than 10 secs!

40% is a good number if it's rising, I feel. Mine is over 70%, but my videos are much shorter. I guess what an acceptable retention rate is, all depends on the type and duration of the videos.

Last edited:
My current retention is at 2:16 min and 13%.
Already using timelapse "until the cows come home" in my newer screencasts. Can hardly compact them any more.
I have not the slightest idea how to improve my retention. Any clues?

30-40% is average but even so i would aim for at least 50%, view duration is part of the 'watch time algorithm' right?

i think it's more important to understand why people are clicking away rather than focusing on the length of video, i have a short attention span but i'll watch 20-30 minute videos if they're interesting. look at what times the retention starts dropping and either change up your content (switch the camera view, add b roll, etc) or put in a card just before people are dropping off so that if they're getting bored they might at least watch a different video of yours.

Dont worry to much about it as long as you make good videos......And you do:up2::) 40% is average is guess but just focus on making good content and improve (if you can) in every new video you upload and you will see rention rate rising and you already say that you do so everything is good:) Have a nice weekend

Mine hovers around 42-45%, but my videos are 25-35 minutes long. It’s good to know that 40% seems to be about average, which is around 17 minutes for my channel. Keep up the good work!

40% is a good retention rate from what I have herd. I think I have herd that you should shoot for an average of 30%. So you are above average! That is pretty cool. If things are growing then you are doing something right so I wouldn't worry.

Back