Inspirations for Video Ideas- How to Think Up Ideas!

Brodie

YTTalk Shape Shifter
Introduction
Hi there! So many people on youtube think, what should I make a video about? Thinking of a video idea that you like can sometimes be a real challenge, I always get stumped on thinking of ideas I always turn ideas down, and that probably might be the scenario with you, yes YOU who is reading this, and i'm going to give you a few tips on thinking of some video ideas. These tips can be incorporated into any style of video.

Experiences
Think of videos to make from your experiences, perhaps something funny happened or you had a funny conversation, or maybe you experienced something scary, or exciting. Any experiences you have can be put into a video, for example I made a video called "My Sister Is A Cricket!" which was a comedy sketch developed from a conversation we had on holiday, there were crickets everywhere and yeah...

Sightings
Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, you see can make an epic video idea. If you saw someone on their bike you can just wonder, where is that person going, who are they? These can be first steps of a mystery video or short film. Or maybe buildings that look weird, even outer space! And then you can watch other people's videos and get inspiration from there, be creative, be weird! Sometimes I like to look at garbage lying around on the street, I may wander, it could be a robot disguised, or it could have been dropped from outer space! You know? Get into the mood!

Music
Music is one of the biggest things that gives me ideas and inspiration to make videos. I like to listen to all sorts of music I enjoy. As I listen, I think of a scene, that goes with the music, it helps especially if it is music you like to listen to regularly. There's nothing much else I can say about this rather than this can strike an idea in your head. Oh, and did you know that listening to 1 hour worth of music a day strengthens your immune system? So you are getting healthier too!

So that's some tips that I wanted to share with you, I hope they help, because they help me, so thanks for reading! Oh, and remember to write your ideas down! :)

I completely agree with the music part.

The video in my signature was half-inspired by the home videos, and half inspired by music. My next big project that I am going to work on when I get back to school was completely inspired by a song. As soon as I heard it, the idea just popped into my head out of nowhere, it was amazing.

Definitely agree here - it's important to keep an open mind when it comes to idea-generation.

That said, from my personal experience, about half of my videos are "inspired", but another half are very "methodical". I think if you keep to a regular schedule, and have a reasonably consistent format, you can still create something that works well even if you haven't had a moment of real inspiration.

There are good resources out there on comedy writing that I think really transfers over. Basically, take a theme - even if you're not married to it. Maybe it's a weird news story, maybe it's something else. And then just start freewriting, or mind-mapping, or just listing out various things related to the main topic. If you do this long enough, you'll inevitably stumble across a few things that you know you can talk about.

Once you get far enough from the main topic that you won't just be repeating the same thing everyone else is saying ("Oh look, Disney bought Lucasfilm" turns into "Ten Disney-style Song Parodies"), sitting down and writing it can come pretty naturally. Forcing yourself to really branch out on a topic can take some discipline, but it also means you know you'll be able to come up with something, even if your muse doesn't give you anything that day.

I love when an idea just hits you, but I think it's important to have a backup plan too, so you don't start falling behind.

Back