Getting People Excited for a Project?

zebracloak

I make Movies like I make Friends.
Hey folks, long time no see. This is probably more specific for filmmakers than say let's-players or vloggers, but I have been struggling with something that I'd like some advice on.

So, I'm a college film student, and I've been working my butt off on preproduction for several scripts for superhero/action short films and fan films (That's the kind of work I want to do in the future). I've been told by several filmmakers that the scripts are really quite good. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem like anybody wants to help me with the projects at my film school. I've always heard that film students are supposed to jump at most opportunities to make films (this is the way I tend to act in school as well), but it seems that my friends and colleagues aren't interested. I think maybe the problem is that a lot of film students tend to try and be #artsy and don't want to do genre pieces (i.e. action and superhero films). Do you guys think that I can get people excited for my projects somehow, or should I wait until I'm at a place with people with similar goals?
I just really wanted to see what kind of opinions you people have on such an issue.

Thanks,

Zack Russell Bartlett
Zebracloak Productions

Well Ur condition is same like me, I wanna make short films, but none of my friends or colleagues are interested in film making, I am waiting for the best opportunity! So I advice that you should wait for the right people :)

Give a presentation about your project and give free pizza to everyone who came to the presentation!

Have you ever thought of making a prototype trailer for your films? Or an animatic storyboard?
Just a mock-up of your concept to give people some more insight about your project.

You could also try to design a movie poster and a normal storyboard with the camera angles, dialogue etc.

Hey folks, long time no see. This is probably more specific for filmmakers than say let's-players or vloggers, but I have been struggling with something that I'd like some advice on.

So, I'm a college film student, and I've been working my butt off on preproduction for several scripts for superhero/action short films and fan films (That's the kind of work I want to do in the future). I've been told by several filmmakers that the scripts are really quite good. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem like anybody wants to help me with the projects at my film school. I've always heard that film students are supposed to jump at most opportunities to make films (this is the way I tend to act in school as well), but it seems that my friends and colleagues aren't interested. I think maybe the problem is that a lot of film students tend to try and be #artsy and don't want to do genre pieces (i.e. action and superhero films). Do you guys think that I can get people excited for my projects somehow, or should I wait until I'm at a place with people with similar goals?
I just really wanted to see what kind of opinions you people have on such an issue.

Thanks,

Zack Russell Bartlett
Zebracloak Productions
Do a short sample of what they should expect, maybe a one minute trailer like we have for our channels on YouTube. If it catches their interest then you can explain details to them. I'm thinking of doing some short films just for practice at directing and filming, I used to be really good in the days of camcorders and tape, so I've been thinking the same thing lately. One thing if I put myself in other people's shoes is that I would want to have some creative freedom as a character in somebody else's video. For this you would need to do some sort of audition to see if what they bring to the table fits what you want. Let them know that they have to stick to your script but can add their own style as long as it makes sense.

That's what I've come up with for myself so far. You just need to make them feel like they are adding to it and not just playing one of your characters.

I'm all for the pizza idea. If somebody said "Hey,be in my film and I'll give you pizza", i'd be in.

In all honesty,you just need to find people who are like you and feel passionate about it. I just recently met a group of friends who also YouTube and we shot a video together. So you never know when you will meet people who share the same interest as you, you just have to go for it. And everybody who commented on this post were right with what they said. Listen to those people.

@JingIeBeIls @BrendenTurtle Promising pizza and such isn't really necessary because I'm working with other filmmakers, whom I've worked with before of school projects. Crafty is always a given on our sets. Any director who's worth a damn provides food on their sets.

@Munchito696 As for the "trailer" idea, I feel like i would need people to help me on the trailer too... so that seems like a waste of effort... If I can get people to help me with the one minute trailer, I wouldn't have the problem of finding people to make a four minute film.

I might make the story board to show to them. I was hoping to only direct, not DP and direct, so I was hoping the shot list and story board would be a collaborative effort, but if I can't find a DP then I guess I'll have to do it myself.

I would say concept art, story boards, etc help build the image. It's hard for people now a days to get into an idea based on text alone.

Also, understand promoting a project is extremely difficult regardless. Look at the thousands of kick starters and other crowd funded sources that's fail. Hell, there are charity organizations out there for cancer that have bad showings and poor acceptance and deal with promotion issues.

I do lets plays and game reviews by the way, but am not ignorant to what you're asking about as well. I promote myself as a brand for reviewing and marketing small game developers (indie developers) projects so I still know about it all.

Can you animate? You could make an animated version of your storyboard to give the idea what your movie could look like.

Back