Does having a slogan or catchphrase work?

In some cases, yes, a catchphrase does work but be sure to make it unique and not boring like "Hey guys, how are all you lovely peeps out there?", make it so it will stick with the viewer like Jacksepticeye's or PewDiePie's intro.

My rituals in most of my videos is a long winded intro.
"Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhat is going on guys? Awp here!" (and then I do a two-finger salute to the camera if I'm recording my face.)

and at the end of the video I say goodbye and then I do a coyote call.
"See you guys next time- AAAAOOOOW!!!"

And just recently I've been adding on:
"and remember that you cannot kill an idea."

So now my videos go a little something like this:
Intro music clip>"Wwwwwwhat is going on guys, Awp here! (salute), *insert video content*, "thanks for watching this video, remember to rate, comment, favorite, share, and subscribe, and remember that you cannot kill and idea, see you guys next time AAAAOOOW!!!", (outro music and link to previous video)

It helps identify my channel through the act of rituals, because people come to expect you to do it every time. It makes people more invested. I didn't think people were paying attention, but even with 450 subscribers, every now and then I'll get a fan who will imitate me. That's how I know it works.

Yes they work! as a matter of fact that is one of the things they tell you to do in the YouTube academy vids. But try making one that sounds a little different, more unique, creative like:
"HI I'm Ashley and today it's all about Germany" or "Hi I'm Ashley, today's stop: Germany"

or if you decide to keep it as you mentioned above make it more personal like:
.Hello traveler, I'm Ashley, today I'm taking YOU to Germany.

You can add a phrase at the end with the naitive language of that country!
Hello traveler, I'm Ashley and today I'm taking YOU to Germany "lass uns gehen" (let's go) or "bist du bereit" ? (are you ready)

Hope this helps![DOUBLEPOST=1430146625,1430145719][/DOUBLEPOST]
I personally think having a slogan or catchphrase is a bit corny. I guess it makes it easier to know how to start your vlog but to me it just looks like someone is trying too hard to "brand" their channel. Just my personal opinion though. A lot of people choose to have a catchphrase so some people must think it's cool. :happy:
It actually does work. They even tell you in the "YouTube Academy:" videos. Familiarization is a way of connecting, to make people feel like they know you. If you feel they are too much too fake, make it super simple and short, change the tone. In your case it would be super simple, something like: Hi I'm Anna and I LOVE vloggin or Hello I'm Anna....I love vlogging (with a downward inflection), try it!

Last edited:
It definitely works. It gets you attention, both positive and negative. People leave comments imitating me and they also leave comments saying they hate it. EITHER WAY, THEY'RE PAYING ATTENTION.

I mean look at this comment "and your closing signature scream: so goddamn annoying."
I ain't even mad. They watched my video all the way to the end to be able to see that.

Back