Copyright claim NOT filed - still illegal to monetize or not?

Tony Cole

Hello guys,
quickly to the point. Me and my amateur filmmaking company uploaded one of our shorts on YouTube last fall. Well, somehow, someway, now it has exploded and got quite popular. Back then, we weren't very caring of copyright's etc since we weren't YouTube partners, unlike we now are. This video has copyrighted music (or my guess is that it is copyrighted) but I don't know what happened, but a copyright claim was never filed and the video is available for monetization. I have not monetized this particular video, but would it be illegal to do so? Quite frankly, what's going on here?

Simply, is this a case of Content ID failing to detect copyrighted content or could it be the music in question is not copyrighted and the video really is eligble for monetization?

Thanks a lot, a speedy reply would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well to answer questions like this always ask yourself these:

1. Have you created all of the content that is in your video yourself? & If you are using content video or audio that you did not compose create do you have written permission to use it and are using it according to that written permission?

If you answer NO to at least one part of this question then the answer to your questions is NO you can use it for commercial use which is video monetization.

As for content ID, its frankly a joke, just search for Full movies on youtube there thousands of copyrighted materials uploaded daily and content ID fails to notice it.

Back