Channel Name

crazy8

This is not something I usually have a hard time with. My first channel was pretty easy since its for my ham radio stuff. Like every other ham, I used my FCC call letters. But my second channel which will consist of my other hobbies, I just can't come up with something. Right now I'm thinking "hobby guy". Not sure though.

Here's a little background. I'm one of those guys who has 100 hobbies. My wife is constantly driven nuts by it. There isn't one hobby that I necessarily do on a regular basis and stick with. I like them all. The hobbies I have and had, I've done at least a little bit of and has enough knowledge to share on. When I get involved, I really get involved. Before I get into anything I research THE HECK out of it. This is where I pick up my first initial knowledge of the subject matter in addition to the experience that follows after.

Here is some examples of hobbies I have/had:
Airsoft - spent $1500 on weapons and gear to get started. Did it to get both step sons interested, it worked, and we did it for about 3-4 years. The $1500 was just on my stuff. We later helped them get their guns.
Root Beer - Bought all of the ingredients need to make real root beer and have already created 2 of my own recipes, one of which is a HUGE hit in the brewing community. My current root beer videos seem to do well, so I think this is one that I will stick with and expand on in the new channel.
Model Cars - Did this for a while with one of my step kids. Built a hobby bench for him and I to use together while we work on models.
Soap Making - Ok, before you go thinking things, let me take my man card back buy justifying it. First of, soap making involves lye which is dangerous. Soap making is also kind of sciency, but in a cool way. Most importantly I was making soap for men with manly fragrances. I might also add that I was making shaving soaps which are quite nice. I am a bit of a "pretentious" shaver. :)
Pretentious Shaver - I decided to ditch my overpriced and horrible Gillette razor/blades and start shaving like a man. I now use fine imported shaving creams, and some on the cheaper end, with my Merkur 34C and whip up my lather with my Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger brush.

This is literally just a small list of my interests and hobbies I have and had, not that I will be addressing all of these on the channel but just to give you an idea. So, A. I am not sure how to address each one of the hobbies that I do decide to put up. Maybe just address beginning type stuff for those who are interested is the hobbies I do address? Maybe do a basic over view kind of approach? Maybe I could spend a couple months on each hobby and do one at a time, so that I can create enough videos for each one? B. I cant seem to think of a good solid name. I am not sure if I want to go with "hobby guy" yet. I also considered "Jack of all Trades". Any ideas would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again

Hey, I am TERRIBLE with channel names, so I can't help you with that (Took me at least an hour to think of the current one) but the content wise, what you could try to do is make each hobby a series! You could make something like a schedule and post air soft on day 1, root beer on day 2, model cars on day 3, etc and repeat. I don't recommend doing everything different each month after constantly doing it, your viewers will probably leave since you suddenly changed your channel topic. It'll be like bunch of guys subscribed to you for root beer recipes but then you suddenly stop posting root beer videos and post how to make soap. They don't want none of that (well some might). So do everything at the same time and keep a variety of viewers constantly happy!

Here's a potential solution. The channel name could be something simple like "First Name, Last Name, Hobbies". E.g my name is Azren Raju, so if you had my name it would be AzrenRajuHobbies. Or even something simpler like ARHobbies (first & last initial vs first name last name).

As for how to address the hobbies, I think you could take a similar approach to what SourceFed/SourceFed Nerd does. Do you follow their videos? If not, basically they will have many mini-series under 1 channel. For example, they have a Monday-Friday morning show called Table Talk, they have the "New Movie Thing Show" 1x per week where they do movie reviews, they do bloopers 1x per week...etc. That approach works well for them, maybe you could try something similar.

Hope that was helpful!

Back