Camera advice for newbie first camera buyer?

Hi, I have decided to start up a YouTube channel to upload videos on and my birthday is coming up so I can either buy one or receive one as a gift. One problem - I don't have that much experience with cameras, do you have any cameras at a reasonable price that you suggest I look into. I will be doing comedy stuff, sketches, vlogs, things where I just talk to the camera, tags and other random things. I know that it is important that it is fully HD. My dad has a video camera from like 2003 and i heard the old cameras like that with the tapes have some great quality - sorry I have no idea what it is etc. I can find out later though. And I know everyone will say where did you hear that, and I might be talking complete garbage! Any suggestions will be appreciated

LIYI :D

You should search BestBuy or Amazon for the best camera deals :) My friend does it all the time he needs a new one :) Also subscribe to youtube tech channels like: Ce-net or UnboxThreapy & search the word "camera" on their channels , since they review tech (just like me in real life:) ) That would work out :) Good luck bro !:cool:

I use a jvc everio and it is awesome, full hd great built in mic. and it says on the side "built for youtube videos"

Do you have an iPhone? If so, the camera on there is plenty good to start with. I say you should film a few and upload them BEFORE you start camera hunting. Use whatever camera you have or can borrow. After you do this a few times, you'll have a much better idea of what you want and what is working and what isn't. You can help us narrow down our advice then.

So my suggestion, use a camera on your phone. Set it up some place VERY stable and start recording and uploading.

I'd suggest getting a camera with a Firewire output if possible and also checking that its footage is going to work with your editing software (If you have any) before you buy it. I have a camera thats driving me mad because it converts to something my editing software HATES.

Beyond that a manual zoom function is very desirable, I'd suggest buying an external mic. I know it sounds like more moneys but its VERY worth it.

if you're just going to do vlogs in your bedroom then jsut get a good webcam

other stuff then yeah get a camcorder. Honestly if it where me buying one of these then i'd keep an eye out on one of them forum discount communities (Like slickdeals) and wait for a good cam to go on sell. aa far as best stores to buy from i cant recommend newegg since i had a to claim agiest them to get a refund but i've always had too luck with amazon and honestly i get more broken stuff from newegg than i ever have from amazon :)

I was looking at the Panasonic HX-WA2 would this be any good it is £129 - £233 in price range. I do not want to go down the webcam route as i feel it would restrict me, in the sort of videos i make. I am going to start off with my phone but my phone is Samsung galaxy ace so I don't know if the picture will be to good thanks for your input guys it means a lot to me

LIYI :D

I'm currently using a Kodak playsport which records in Full HD. Only thing is I have never used the audio captured from the microphone as I record everything through Logic. The video is very good, its compact, its water proof and its not that expensive. I got a refurbished one for £50

My advice would be (not that I'm an expert or anything)
• set yourself a budget
• look a cameras in that price range
• read reviews by professionals on the cameras you like
• take into consideration the pros and cons (a con to them may not be a con to you ie battery life only last 8 hours, only 8 x zoom. This may be insignificant to you)

I only bought mine a couple of months ago and did exactly as I've listed. Once I'd narrowed it down to the camera within my price range I just went hunting to find the best deal.

Hope this helps

Back