Buying Songs or just downloading them?

Gizake

So I found some good royalty free music but on the website I found it on, its about $20... Can't I just go on Youtube, download the song and cut the part of the song I need? How will they know I bought the song or downloaded it?

Thanks for the help.

So I found some good royalty free music but on the website I found it on, its about $20... Can't I just go on Youtube, download the song and cut the part of the song I need? How will they know I bought the song or downloaded it?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Gizake,

All royalty-free websites have different T&Cs, but what you are suggesting probably breaks those rules.

While it's unlikely, if the website finds that you are illegally using their music, you could be liable to prosecution but most likely your video will be removed on copyright grounds. $20 is not much for a peice of music that you can use again and again, and if you just download it without paying, the composer doesn't get the money, which is unfair!

If you send me a URL, I'll look into it a little further.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Hi Gizake,

All royalty-free websites have different T&Cs, but what you are suggesting probably breaks those rules.

While it's unlikely, if the website finds that you are illegally using their music, you could be liable to prosecution but most likely your video will be removed on copyright grounds. $20 is not much for a peice of music that you can use again and again, and if you just download it without paying, the composer doesn't get the money, which is unfair!

If you send me a URL, I'll look into it a little further.

Hope this helps,
Ben

I'll probably end up buying it but for someone that just downloads it off youtube and cuts part of the song say for a intro how will the makers of that song find out if he downloaded it off youtube or actually bought it?

I'll probably end up buying it but for someone that just downloads it off youtube and cuts part of the song say for a intro how will the makers of that song find out if he downloaded it off youtube or actually bought it?

Hey,

Copyright owners can use a system called "Content ID", to easily identify and manage their content on YouTube. Videos uploaded to YouTube are scanned against a database of files that have been submitted to YouTube by content owners. Copyright owners get to decide what happens when content in a video on YouTube matches a work they own. When this happens, the video gets a "Content ID Claim".

What happens if you used music you shouldn't?
Copyright owners can choose different actions to take on material that matches theirs:

• Mute audio that matches their music
  • Block a whole video from being viewed
  • Monetize the video by running ads against it
  • Track the video’s viewership statistics
In most cases, the video is just blocked, but it's country-specific.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, fire them at me :)
Ben

Back