Building a community

Weekend Noobs

If the week gets you down then join us and unwind
Hey guys. Just a simple one really, not sure if I posted this in the right place.

Does anyone know any other strong websites besides this one that could help build a community up?
Ive tried twitter but I dont understand it and it kinda seems pointless to me, however I know how popular it is so I will try to understand it.

Anyone know of any better ones that people use?

What are you trying to do, when you say, "Build a community"? That's really dependent upon your end game.

If you just want more viewers/subscribers, that's a matter of promotion, making sure you're nice to the folks who have viewed and subscribed (answer their comments, encourage interaction), getting your content right, thumbnails/descriptions/etc. All the stuff that's talked about quite a bit here.

If you're looking for more of a sense of community surrounding your channel, I would say start in the comments, and really interact with your viewers in the videos themselves. Mention people who have left good comments. Take to heart what the people who have your best interests in the comments say to you, and adjust your channel accordingly.

If you want to build that community outside of YouTube, you could start with a Facebook fan page. That's a great place to take interaction further. Or you could use a free forum software to build up a standalone forum. Or start Snapchatting, to give people more of an insight into your unrehearsed, raw self. Instagram is also a good place to find and communicate with people.

It's really about what you are hoping to accomplish. It's more about what you do with the tools at-hand than the tools themselves.

A great tip (that may not kick in until you have at least a slightly decent amount of subs) is this:

Maybe make a forum with something like proboards. You can link your subscribers to that forum in your end card and/or your video description. They can post there about videos and random other stuff like suggestions, etc. And by telling them they have the chance to be a moderator, they will feel a sense of power and wanna try to participate more to get that.

This may not work for everybody, but it can probably work for some people with the right content that is, well, good to make a forum about.

I can't add any more suggestions other than the ones already listed because it looks like everything has been covered but LOL at your signature hahaha, I like it.

To be honest, there is little to no "community" in other places. You need to find the correct Facebook group because everyone has the opportunity to dump a video at the same time in that specific group. Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter have all started to manipulate their feeds based on algorithms, so that is even horrendous because you can't pick what you want to see by default.

Don't go with what most people are running after, and even if you are using a huge platform like YouTube, don't expect to make huge amounts of money. People are what make up the community. This forum is better than others because there are rules and regulations on what you should and cannot do, but still the community aspect can change, and it all depends on the motives of people.

Loved Xingcat's response. I kind of see him as the father of this forum, lol. Or, awesome uncle. :p Anyways, I can't add much more after his response. Hope you find what you're looking for!

everyones responses have been very helpful and given clarity on the subject. I left it as broad and open to get a more broad response lol
I'm not using youtube for money just as a hobby and entertainment. I've always wanted to go into entertainment but life had other plans so instead I have found ways to keep that fire going ^_^

For my channel I am trying to make it a form of escapism and some place people can just mong out too and relax after a bad week. Challenging goal in it self but things are never easy. So long as I keep my goal in mind and most of all never give up

Back