Blue Yeti Quality Drop

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Whats going on YTTalkers!

So yesterday i made the investment and actually got a Blue Yeti! I record most of my videos right on my playstation 4 in 15 minute increments. So i plug the blue yeti into my playstation and it works on it. I was talking to a friend on twitter who said his blue snowball doesnt sound great when he records through his playstation, but when he records from his computer the quality is much better. Can you guys confirm or deny this? Also for people who record on gaming counsels, what do you use to record video and audio?
Let me know!
Thanks!

I don't know about gaming, but I had an issue where recording through garageband was dreadful, while audacity worked fine. So it does seem rather fickle. Maybe the game console thing is a similar issue.

I don't know about gaming, but I had an issue where recording through garageband was dreadful, while audacity worked fine. So it does seem rather fickle. Maybe the game console thing is a similar issue.

Thanks for replying. Not trying to get views, but i just released a video 10 minutes ago and its my first blue yeti video recorded through my playstation. Is there anyway you can watch (title farewell) and let me know if that audio sounds like a blue yeti, or maybe i do need to go through audicity and sync the video and audio up.

Thanks!

Good possibility that recording through the PS4 is at a lower quality. It will be recording with rigid settings, and possibly not let you utilize the full capability of the mic. You'll need to test this out yourself as I'm not certain what the bit rate or bit depth it records at will be. On PC, you can control these things which affect the overall quality of the track.

That said, you're also too far from the mic and have the gain turned up too high. This is why you're getting an echo because your voice isn't hitting the mic with enough power and thus relatively speaking the echo is noticeable. Turn the gain down, then get the mic up to 8-10 inches from your face but about 45 degrees to either side. And maybe try to avoid speaking directly at the flat sound bouncing TV screen. Start recording and turn the gain up every 5 seconds or so and just say what the gain setting is. Then listen back to the recording and pick the loudest gain setting which doesn't result in any clipping or distortion.

Once you've got that, a lot of it will be practice. You'll need to get good at talking passed the mic rather than into it which will help with the pops that you'll get from being that close. But it will remove most of the echo. May also be a good idea to ensure the mic is set to Cardioid.

Back