Beginner Advice needed

simondg

Hi

I've got a specific video project in mind but being new to this don't even know where to start in terms of the feature set needed for the software to do the job.

Mostly I need to edit existing footage to change a persons position in the scene (or object) while the rest of the content obviously needs to remain, so a bit of background editing needs to happen.

I've been a long time user of Adobe PS and the print range of products -- but moving to video don't even know the technical terms for what I'm wanting to do, so any advice or pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

what exacly are you trying to do? i think you should start by getting adobe after effects and maybe recapturing the footage with a greenscreen.

Well actualy for those kind of things its good to use Sony Vegas Pro and watch up some tutorials ;)

Sounds like you want to mask. It's going to be hard if you are doing it post filming with existing footage. If that's case you need to mask the person that is moving and keep the back ground clip static so as the person moves, the background stays the same.

If you are filming this, then use a greenscreen.

For software, I use Sony Vegas and it does a decent job doing this. Adobe After Effects is your best bet to have really clean looking finished clip though.

Thanks for the input so far, looks like it might be a bit much for a starting project
smile.gif
Anyway, a little more detail that might help clarify things.

Most editing will be done on existing footage, some could be re-shot but not all.

One scene that I hope might be simple to start with is adjusting the height of two people talking, side profile, face to face, so I want to get these at eye level so my guess is I would lower the higher person and then re-crop the scene to get the position right. Could almost split the footage down the middle and then just adjust the position. The background is just a blur so hopefully limited lighting and background issues to deal with.

Similar process with two people walking towards camera, shot showing from about waist up, want to adjust scene to show both at the same height, again "lower" taller person?

Thanks, Simon

Back