Become an EXPERT at whatever your channel is about

Take the time to put in the work and learn about the category you're blogging about.

I know, I know - you're thinking this is supposed to be youtube, not school, you don't want any homework!

But the truth is that by taking the time to learn more about what you're blogging about, the quality of your videos will rise and your audience will grow. If you're a gamer, spend some time studying the top gaming channels, see what they're doing, see what you think could be done even better, AND DO IT!

If you're a travel vlogger like me, learn as much as you can about the places you're visiting, and share it with the world. After a while you'll also be able to make tutorial videos and help other new channels.

I just made a video called "2 YEARS of Travel Blog and Travel Vlog Advice in 2 MINUTES".

I'm still new to youtube, but travel is something I know a lot about! So I play to my strengths. I play to where I might be an expert and most other people aren't.

Don't be afraid to stand out and make the content no one else is making.

Become an expert!

A few ways to get started:

• Search for your videos' keywords, watch the top ranking videos and study what makes them great
  • Engage with the community and don't be afraid to ask questions
  • Whenever possible, answer questions and make videos that offer valuable solutions to people's problems. Tutorial and How To Videos are getting HUGE traffic
  • When someone leaves a negative comment on your video, don't just ignore it. Try to understand what they didn't like, and if there is a video you can make that would solve this problem. Show your audience you listen!
  • Create an ebook or other product if you know enough information. I wrote a guide called "How to Conquer Your Solo Travel Fears" and market it on my travel blog. I love when people read it, but even those who don't will see me as more of an expert for having a publication
  • Look for information OUTSIDE of youtube that can be translated to youtube videos - blog posts, books, tv shows, podcasts, the list is endless!
What other advice do you have? I'd love to hear how you have worked to become an expert on your channel! :D

Great advice!

But for me as a gaming channel i dont want to study the big gaming channels, the last thing i want is to be a carbon copy of a big youtuber, but yes experience with making videos and a genuine interest in improving will help make video quality better,. My channel videos have improved dramatically :D

Great advice!

But for me as a gaming channel i dont want to study the big gaming channels, the last thing i want is to be a carbon copy of a big youtuber, but yes experience with making videos and a genuine interest in improving will help make video quality better,. My channel videos have improved dramatically :D

True! None of us want to be copies ;)

When I say study the big channels though, I just mean understand the principles of what works for them.

Where is the value? Is it their personality, their awesome commentary, their great SEO and thumbnail work? Do they have some original ways of engaging with their community?

Once you've understood the way they succeed you can apply it to your own videos however you choose.

Great advice! So much 'expert advice' content is already out there in every niche... IMO a big opportunity for us vloggers and creators of how-to content, is giving this advice context - helping the end user relate to the advice.

Yes yes yes yes! I'd also like to add that becoming an expert of your OWN channel and audience is really important too, otherwise, how are you supposed to run and grow your own channel successfully? A lot of people don't know the first thing about their very own videos. They kind of just put random things out there from time to time without too much thought!

Back