Be careful with Youtube Ad campaigns

When I first started using it, it was for my music channel, and I saw similar huge view counts for cheap, but it's because I set the max cpv as low as it could possibly be, so my average watch time was like 30 seconds. Almost all of the ads were in Taiwan and Vietnam, and none of them wanted to see more :'( I've not gotten more viewer engagement since paying more to get better targeting, but I have experienced better audience retention in terms of watch time. My video with the most views is also the longest, and an eighth of those who saw the ad watched the entire 90 minute video[DOUBLEPOST=1436643673][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I have 5 subs and you have nearly 2k, so maybe that affects things somehow or another lol

I used it when I still have 1,000 subs I think. And I don't think Subs matter regarding adwords, as YouTube just puts up your ads everywhere it can.

I run it for 2 weeks with less than $0.5/day (PHP 18.00)

It doesn't just put your ad up everywhere it can unless you put absolutely no effort into targeting, but I think you're right in that sub count doesn't really matter. PHP 18?

Thanks for your info. I did not get charged yet from my card. I will keep an eye on it, but if anything overserved is free, then i think that's fair.
It should be, I once got 6,000+ views on a video for $5, originally I had only paid the $5 to get around 200-300 views. lol I was able to contact their support though and they told me that sometimes the system over serves so I won't be charged for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1436666793,1436666351][/DOUBLEPOST]That being said, regardless of settings, I found it pretty useless.

First time I used it I just did whatever, that's where I got the 6,000 views, retention was absolutely amazing too, nearly everyone watched the whole ad from start to finish, oddly a lot if not 90%+ came from non-english speaking countries, 1 of which primarily Russia. Any subs I got came from people who had already subscribed to hundreds of other channels & again were non-english speakers as fare as I could tell... bit suspicious but I won't go into that.

The next few times I used it, I used it "right" and only targeted english speaking countries specifically the big 1s like Australia since I reside there, US and the UK then I found a few others where english was the first language, I also targeted videos & channels to place the ads on. That's where I got the least views.

Honestly even if I had a budget of a $100-1,000 to use on AdWords I probably wouldn't, it's too hit and miss and outright dodgy just like Facebook ads. Originally when I was using it I was following this guide: http://yttalk.com/threads/how-to-get-subs-fast-through-ad-campaigns.104497/

Last edited:
Dear all, I just want to say when considering Youtube Ad Campaigns you have to be careful.

First of all one of my campaigns went far over the daily budget, which means I had to pay way more than I've set up.

Second, the video I promoted was quite a good video with fair Youtube ranking. after the first day of the ad, it completely destroyed the Youtube ranking, getting alsmost no generic views through the Youtube search.

I'm very sick of it, because it costs money, and the result is a mess...
Hey Mr Meow, Thats very good to know. Its like YouTube rewards you for spending money, then they punish you when you stop so you spend more!

So far I didn't notice that ads would effect the ranking negatively. Probably this was only coincidence?

So far I didn't notice that ads would effect the ranking negatively. Probably this was only coincidence?
It should be a coincidence, I assume they are not deliberately destroying your video rankings... But I'm just saying chances of this kind of sh*t happening exists.
Hey Mr Meow, Thats very good to know. Its like YouTube rewards you for spending money, then they punish you when you stop so you spend more!
Oh well, at first I wasn't spending money and getting good video rankings. I decided to spend money to boost my video even more, but that double-backfired me.

Anyway; I had contact with people from Google Adwords. Those people were very nice and even though they are not very familiar with Youtube rankings, they tried to inform me as much as possible. The daily costs is capped at 20% of your max daily costs. For example, if you set your daily budget on $1 then you won't pay more than 1.20 for that day, even if you get 958.792 viewers that day.

And they confirmed to me, if you do ads for your videos, the rankings of your Youtube video should improve. That's what they say :).

I've been using it. I start with $10 a day for a couple a days. I set it to the EVERYONE setting when I start. I noticed that most of my views come from Vietnam, Indonesia, Brazil, Iraq. Basically, a whole bunch of countries that never provide ad revenue. Yes, I get thousands of views, and a handful of subs. Now I'm trying to more targeted ads: USA, UK, Australia, WEstern Europe. And placing them on various sites.

Now, I know there is a software program called Veeroll. It's about $50 a month. You type in the keywords and it finds the best placements. Not sure how well it works. I'm thinking about doing it.

Back