Are short videos better?

I keep mine short too, no more than 8 minutes. It's just I feel like it gets boring after a while. But if you have more than 10 minutes, you make more money. I upload pretty much every week, or 5 days, I'm pretty bad at consistency. But if you upload daily, its easier to upload shorter videos. And weekly uploads maybe 10 minutes depending on the topic :)

I try to keep my videos pretty short. My goal is no longer than 5 minutes and preferably 3 minutes if possible. I have a standard setup for each video. I feel like people are more likely to watch the whole thing if it is short. The content matters the most, and I feel like the content is great. But I also feel like people are more likely to stick around if there isn't a big commitment. Will it affect the bottom line?

I guess once I get more subscribers I can make them a little longer if need be. Just wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
I did an experiment on my channel with a super shortform video (1min 30) (normally I make science videos in the 3-5 minute ballpark). I haven't tried long form yet, but in my experience, people prefer my longer videos because it is worth their time. Besides, YouTube likes more watch time, and you get more of that with longer videos, though something over 10 minutes may be off-putting unless tremendously in depth and catering to a specific niche IMO. :)

I think as your channel grows and you find that a certain series is doing well you can add some extras mins onto that as that will mean extra view time for you channel and and revenue if you're into that sort of stuff.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have loads of video from the competitions we do, I can always put out an extra video with the full version. We did a hot dog eating competition, and it took 10 minutes, but I didn't think people wanted to watch us eat Hog Dogs for that long, so it is super sped up. I could always make another video with the eating taking place at regular speed. Not that that video did all that well, but it would be another video and if I had a successful one I could do the same. Thanks.

I like to think of videos as movies. So say a movie, for example Titanic its around 3 hours long movie right? People tend to watch ALL of it and even rewatch it due to how good the movie is. Some movies are one hour short, and viewers wont even watch 10 minutes of it. So think of it as your video. If you video is amazing, viewers will watch it, no matter if its 1 minute or 10 minutes long. It all depends on the video itself and not the time of it. I hope I don't sound dumb, and you understand where im trying to go with this.

-Sab

I think for smaller channels, shorter videos are definitely the way to go. Most people haven't developed a strong sense of loyalty to small channels, so they won't be interested in watching a 12 minute video or something. There are obviously exceptions to the rules, like if it is a serious/controversial video, has an engaging story, or is an in-depth tutorial. I'm fond of shorter videos, but sadly my last two have been quite long. My most recent upload was 23 minutes... good golly.

I agree with you @AM2PM, content is what matters. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how long the video is as long as you grab the viewer's attention. I've read articles that point out the "15 second rule" as the standard time to keep viewers engaged. You accomplished that when I watched your video. In my case, I try to keep my videos from 3 to 5 min long because the format of my channel is about reactions. The format and sharing of your videos will also determine how long you have to make them. I would prefer to produce 1 minute videos since thats the standard playing time on instagram, where I usually share my videos.

Back