Are my videos to long?

RoyK

Loving YTtalk
Hey YT peeps,

I make Photoshop Time Lapse videos and try to stay under the 6 minutes of video. Recently I am changing tactics and start with a quick intro (my logo) and show the end result right after that. I try to do this a bit cool.. with sound effects etc. After that the Photoshop video starts. Basically, i try to get the focus of the viewer in the first 15 seconds.

When i check my analytics, I discover that a lot of people dont watch the whole video and i think they are zapping all over to the finish. The problem is that I am in split right now what to do. Speeding up the video is a problem because i all-ready get complaints that it is to fast for some, and when i want a slower version will end up in a video that is to long.

Maybe, I need to upload 2 videos. One hyperspeed 2 minutes version. And one longer version. But, in the end is that double workload for not much more viewers.

What would u do? I can use some thoughts.

My videos are typically over 10 mins long, some are 20mins. I guess it comes down to the TUPE of video you are creating, and I generally do reviews or tutorials.
For a TimeLapse, I would probably like to keep it at around the 5min or less mark. Sometimes less is more and leaves a better impact.

Most of my videos are 4 minutes, my analytics says people watch the first minute. :( I think just a 2 minute video unless you really want to show people something.

What is your audience retention exactly? I think the issue you have is your videos are "skipable", seeing as there's no voice or instructions to miss, it's easy to zoom forward. I don't think you should speed your videos up further, because there will be a point where it's just too fast. I suppose if you get yourself a decent mic/have one you could do some simple tutorials on how you do some basic things

You prefect timing for time lapses, which i must say are awesome.
See what larger time lapse youtubers try and keep the time to and see if its around the time you set it to
*cough* flewdesigns *cough*

Hey YT peeps,

I make Photoshop Time Lapse videos and try to stay under the 6 minutes of video. Recently I am changing tactics and start with a quick intro (my logo) and show the end result right after that. I try to do this a bit cool.. with sound effects etc. After that the Photoshop video starts. Basically, i try to get the focus of the viewer in the first 15 seconds.

When i check my analytics, I discover that a lot of people dont watch the whole video and i think they are zapping all over to the finish. The problem is that I am in split right now what to do. Speeding up the video is a problem because i all-ready get complaints that it is to fast for some, and when i want a slower version will end up in a video that is to long.

Maybe, I need to upload 2 videos. One hyperspeed 2 minutes version. And one longer version. But, in the end is that double workload for not much more viewers.

What would u do? I can use some thoughts.
Sounds like a possible idea...But keep in mind you can't please everybody...Don't stress yourself out over it. Try it and if it proves to be too stressful for you, then don't do it!

I've always maintained that anything longer than 3 minutes is too long for YouTube. People have impressively short attention span and if you don't capture their attention in the first 30 seconds you're screwed. But what do I know. Most people on this forum have really long videos with way more views and subscribers than me.

i think if u have a vlog, u can keep ppl longer in your video than with music or like me, a time lapse.

just keep it the way it is, they wont be zapping to the finish, they will be zapping to upto the part they dont already kno, thats what i do if im looking for tutorials, you skip it a bit to see if its good maybe watch the bits you need to know, dont make a fast/slow version cos people who arnt subed might not know you make both

Back