Anyway to fight a "FAKE" copyright claim

I dispute claims all the time. Most of my stuff is arranged from public domain music, and someone else copyrighted their arrangement which sounds a lot like the original. So far, my disputes have almost always ended in the publishers releasing the claim. Once it was rejected and I had to go the full nine-yards where you put in your name, address, phone number and click through scary YouTube buttons about freezing your account, fines, going to court and whatnot.. After that, I think my dispute was placed in front of an actual person instead of a robot, because they lifted the claim...

If you know your video is legal, don't let all the scary YouTube copyright warnings scare you - just dispute it! I'm a bit mad that all of these music publishers are putting out claims on public domain stuff.

I dispute claims all the time. Most of my stuff is arranged from public domain music, and someone else copyrighted their arrangement which sounds a lot like the original. So far, my disputes have almost always ended in the publishers releasing the claim. Once it was rejected and I had to go the full nine-yards where you put in your name, address, phone number and click through scary YouTube buttons about freezing your account, fines, going to court and whatnot.. After that, I think my dispute was placed in front of an actual person instead of a robot, because they lifted the claim...

If you know your video is legal, don't let all the scary YouTube copyright warnings scare you - just dispute it! I'm a bit mad that all of these music publishers are putting out claims on public domain stuff.

Exactly! I've rolled up my sleeves myself and am ready to go head to head with my fake copyright claimants myself because of this reason. I did a Fable 3 let's play, where two individuals who don't exist, have claimed copyright over it's main theme song... which was developed by Lionhead studios for the game for Microsoft who inevitably give out permissions to play their games. I have my explicit permission saying I'm allowed to post and even monetize my footage that I use for my video under YouTubes partner program. So even if they don't release it or let it sit there the 30 days before it gets auto released, the more I push back to the point it needs to get put in front of a real person/court is where someone who is in the wrong will completely back down. Because at that point they'd be committing fraud by trying to pretend they own the legal rights to the game and it's content and the real publishers would have to deal with legal claims anyway. Which means they'd be shining the spotlight on themselves which scammers don't want. There's very little legal action that can be taken against them unless they try to take you to court. For example, only Microsoft or Lionhead could take me to court over the video if THEY asked me to take it down and I didn't. Not Believe Music or [Merlin] Phonofile (My two claimants :p) Never ever back down when you're being bullied on YouTube. It's just scammers trying to exploit the system to make a quick buck off of everyone else s hard work.

Hi, I'm worried that someone might just troll and decide to make a copyright claim on one of my videos :(

Any tips on how to get it removed or deal with it? Thanks :D

If you're 100% sure you didn't break any copyright rules, just dispute it. It helps to have some sort of proof, like a link to a developer's page where they state that they allow publishing and monetizing their games etc.

It happened to me a few times, I got some fake strikes from some obscure shady scumbags just to put an ad on my video. After a 2 or 3 disputes they stopped.

And it happens to a lot of people. It can cause a lot of problem for big YouTubers. If you follow people like Jim Sterling, you know there is a lot of anger and disappointment about that on YouTube... A lot of channels were ruined just because they were temporarily restricted, but it took a while, and by the time it was resolved their viewing dropped significantly.

It's really sad that YouTube doesn't care at all who gets a permission to give copyright strikes... Basically any trolling idiot or a scammer that leaches off other people's work can mess with you if he wanted...

If you're 100% sure you didn't break any copyright rules, just dispute it. It helps to have some sort of proof, like a link to a developer's page where they state that they allow publishing and monetizing their games etc.

It happened to me a few times, I got some fake strikes from some obscure shady scumbags just to put an ad on my video. After a 2 or 3 disputes they stopped.

And it happens to a lot of people. It can cause a lot of problem for big YouTubers. If you follow people like Jim Sterling, you know there is a lot of anger and disappointment about that on YouTube... A lot of channels were ruined just because they were temporarily restricted, but it took a while, and by the time it was resolved their viewing dropped significantly.

It's really sad that YouTube doesn't care at all who gets a permission to give copyright strikes... Basically any trolling idiot or a scammer that leaches off other people's work can mess with you if he wanted...

YouTube really needs to fix their policy. If they're going to implement a system to police their website they need to be doing it the right way and moderating it otherwise they really should just leave it to the content owners filing with the DMCA to deal with. Not to mention anyone placing a claim into their content id match should have to undergo an extensive process where they have to give proof of who they are, that they own the copyright, and attend a meeting with a YouTube team who would be working with the DMCA before even being allowed to put the claim into the system in the first place. Then and only then would the content ID system be fair and you would know if you got dinged, you got dinged because of the actual owners. Not some ****head trying to make a couple bucks off of your hard work or ruin you.

Again, if you know you're 100% in the right always dispute for sure :)

anyone placing a claim into their content id match should have to undergo an extensive process where they have to give proof of who they are, that they own the copyright, and attend a meeting with a YouTube team who would be working with the DMCA before even being allowed to put the claim into the system in the first place.

Yes. This.

Back