Any Feedback/Advice?

Alex Heasman

Loving YTtalk
Hey guys I got my first commentary + FaceCam uploaded last night and was wondering if you could possibly give it a watch and just let me know what you think of it and maybe what i could improve on for later videos. Thanks :)

Hey Alex! I'm glad you're posting your videos here for feedback, I have some things I thought I would mention after visiting your channel, I hope you find them helpful! :)

1. Channel Design - The background/logo are good. They're not top of the line or anything, but certainly passable and nothing I found personally wrong with them. They're good enough. The description could use some work. Not everyone will read it, but the ones who do are looking for information about the channel and why they should watch. Cleaning up the grammar a bit, and providing some more detailed information about the videos you make, and what content they provide is always helpful.

2. Face Cam - This is a huge bane of the YouTube gaming community right now. A basic rule is this, don't use one. For most beginners and commentators a face cam adds nothing to the content, and instead detracts away from the game. You're covering up a portion of the gameplay I'm trying to watch to show us you sitting in a chair. I glance at it once and say "Ok cool, him and his friend are gonna play a game, nice house" and then I never look at it again. The only time a webcam belongs in gaming content is if you have a very specific reason for it, or you tend to be very animated while gaming, and it adds to the content instead of distracting from it.

3. Audio Quality - Lots of mumbling, and little inside conversations between you and your friend. We're not here to listen to you guys talk to each other, we're here to listen to someone commentate about a game they're playing. If you guys want to record yourselves having a conversation, it belongs in a vlog or some other style of video. Gaming videos are about the game first and foremost (at least in the style of channel you are creating) and yourself plus any guests you have are a backdrop to this. If you want to become a "personality" on YouTube like Tobuscus or Jesse Cox where you matter more than the content of the video you can do that, but you need to be far more animated and interesting. Essentially you should pick one or the other, make the game the focus, or make yourself the focus, mixing these together creates sub-par content.

4. Video Quality - This was good, your video was clear and I didn't notice any huge pixelations or framerate issue while playing. Only issue here is the face cam.

I hope to see you posting more videos here in the future, good luck! :D

Thank you for the feedback there I appreciate it and will definitely try a few things there :) I have a video uploading now with face cam but in my next video I might not use one and see how that goes. And yeah with us talking I just found it weird to talk about the game etc as it was my first commentary but I'm feeling a bit better about it all so hoping to do more about the games. As with the background I actually have a new banner I just can't use it yet lol, It's a personalised one for my channel :) Thank you for getting back to me I'll let you know when I have something different up and see what you think :)

Thank you for the feedback there I appreciate it and will definitely try a few things there :) I have a video uploading now with face cam but in my next video I might not use one and see how that goes. And yeah with us talking I just found it weird to talk about the game etc as it was my first commentary but I'm feeling a bit better about it all so hoping to do more about the games. As with the background I actually have a new banner I just can't use it yet lol, It's a personalised one for my channel :) Thank you for getting back to me I'll let you know when I have something different up and see what you think :)
Sounds good, I look forward to it! You'll adjust to commentating as you get more used to it, starting out is always a bit awkward.

Yeah I have spoke to a few people about it and they said when they first started they were very much like how I am now but I'm sure with time I'll be fine

Back