An inspirational selfie story

AmbossTV

I Love YTtalk
I just found that "is it still possible to become famous thread" here and was about to reply but then I thought I'll create a new motivational thread.

Someone I met during my time in Seattle (saying friend would be too much. Friend of friends) has kind of done a triple strike (EDIT: Nope, not YouTube strikes) with just a few YouTube videos in the recent time. YouTube is not her main thing but she uses it as a creative platform.

[I can't post links but you can search for the videos I guess. Channel is KarenXCheng]

Strike 1:
Her video "resignation letter to Microsoft". It somehow spread through Facebook and got 400k views over time.

Strike 2:
Her "Girl learns how to dance in a year" video.
She filmed her dancing lessons progress over a year and uploaded it on YouTube. Before the video got released I noticed how she did some research (asking around on FB) how to make a video go viral. In the end, I'd say she managed to do it via Reddit and the help of bloggers (she reached out to them, sending them the video and some posted it). More than 4mio views now.

Strike 3:
"The Donut Selfie"
Actually that video didn't go that viral first despite a lot of bloggers posting it.
I'd say it's because it's cool but doesn't have the emotional story like the dancing video.
HOWEVER.....Beats by Dre reached out to her and they are using it now for their winter campaign as Solo Selfie and even asked her to be part of the video. Pretty cool

Yes, she still "only" had 9k subs but those are pretty much from 3 videos and even if I would say it's unclear if that's something you can build a regular channel on things evolved pretty quickly. And you shouldn't just look at YouTube. It can also just be a platform for your creativity which leads to totally other opportunties.

That said...not sure what she will do next but I find it inspirational how it wasn't just all pure luck but planned through (to some degree).

Last edited:
I'm reminded of that BatDad guy on vine who made a montage video of past vines. This was the ONLY video he had on his YouTube channel and he had over 60 thousand subscribers by the end of it.

Back