Allow me to introduce myself...

DaddyDmanYTr

Hello all. My name is Derek. That's what my mom called me anyway! LOL! Online, in games, what ever I'm playing, I often go by Dman, and some how incorporate that short name into many screen names I use. Almost every game I play, has Dman and something of sorts related to game. But I tell everyone, call me Dman. Goes back to my HS years, all my friends would say "D, Hey man." Or "Hey D, man come here" ... "check this out" "What this, what you think," or what ever... It was always, "D" and "man" would follow, kinda like saying dude. Hey dude. Hey man! So getting into online gaming in last 5- 10 years, it was Dman and something.

I'm a NEW YT'r! and by new, I mean I've been making videos for 2-3 years, and can barely hold 50 followers. Mainly, cause it's so hard to balance YT making, with real life, including work! Obviously, at 50 or less followers, YT is doing nothing for me at the moment (not derogatory, just a fact) besides giving me a way to share my experiences on videos games. I post all sorts of videos on YT about different games I play! On the flip side of life? I'm a truck driver. or, was! Currently in between jobs, my last job was OTR, spending a lot of time crossing state lines from CA to AZ once or twice, mostly from AZ to MS, KY back to AZ and one trip to CO, to give you idea where I been. Enough of the flip side, the point is, I been busy, and not able to spend a lot of time making my YT videos, which happen to be my Gamer experiences on many various games I play!

So, in order to make my videos, I first had to produce my content, playing games. I have a lot of content to use.
Recording, I just use the Xbox/Windows game bar which comes installed respectively on both machines, whether I play on my laptop with WIN 10/XboxGamebar, or on my Xbox1s.
Video editing, I use Shotcut 21.03.21. An open source, free to DL, video editing software, which probably looks, feels, operates about the same as any other I've seen out there. I've been able to play with different features and only barely scratched the surface. They have various filters for both audio and visual clips on the timeline, allowing you to sync up multiple images and audio files together, and time it exactly how you want it timed. And it's Free. BUT I'm clueless on some things, which is why I'm here...more of that in a moment.
Sound editing, besides what I do in Shotcut when adding filters, and compressing and/or expanding the clips, I also can use Audacity to do many more things with audio files, adding all sorts of distorting audio sound effects to the files. BUT, So far, I only scratched the surface of Audacity, using it to record my Voiceovers for my videos.
Visual images. I Use GIMP GNU 2.10.24, as I use a lot of still images, and try to add some special effects, and glamourous image editing to my still images, which I haven't been able to do in the shotcut, that I can see. GIMP allows me to add all sorts of glamourous effects to my still images, and create things I couldn't in my video games.

My process... First and foremost! I play video games! Duh! Lol. While playing, i keep the recording app on. My Xbox games are recorded to an external 1T drive by USB. I tried OneDrive! I tried sharing to Xbox Live, and DL from computer, unfortunately,using those alternatives never worked for storage and transfering, mostly cause the xbox game bar wouldn't record any more than 10 min recordings! Some of my Xboxgameplay was under 10 min, but I often play games longer, sometimes just barely, 12 min, 15 min, at most. But it's those LAST 2-5 min of a game that's most important!! Gamers? YOU KNOW THIS!! So I discovered if I plug in an external, the Xbox would record UPTO 1 hr! Most my recordings are 10-30 min.
Computer, I had to adjust Win10 recording settings under the Gamebar settings, but I can record upto 2 hr, or change that, I can record upto 4 hours if I choose! That's a long time to sit and play/record! No potty breaks when recording!! LOL!
All my content is on one of TWO externals! I plug in the external needed to my computer. I open the file I want in Shotcut. I get to work. I usually preview my capture before, using the Win Media (I don't like watching videos in shotcut, as I can never figure out "HOW" to preview a clip in full screen. Just sitting their to watch in the mid screen window with all the editing tools and stats surrounding video? Not my desire to preview a video that way), where I can watch my video in full screen. Once I decide by preview what to use, I open in Shotcut (I know, already said that, backtracked a moment), where I cut out what I don't need, put together what I do want, and move on to next step.
Most my videos are in series. Take my recent series about old classic Conker BFD I been making. I use same layout transition screens, but with different cuts each video. So when I know i'm going to make a series of videos, I open shotcut in a new project, give it a name related to that game/series title "transition" and make a short transition video I can use multiple times. Once that transition is done, It gets "Extracted" into MP4 like all my other videos, but saved to a different video project folder I can use later on repeatedly. So when I'm working on the main project for video, and I need transition videos, intros, outros, credit cuts, etc, which all get made separately, and reused, and saved in a separate project folder, I can access those as needed and added to current project I'm working on.

Furthermore. If I want to use still images. I did a lot of that on Conker's BFD series, but say I'm playing Roblox on computer! Yes, I spend a lot of time on Roblox! Despite the crappy graphics, and cheap game experiences, some times I play combat games! SOMETIMES... MOST Of my Roblox gaming experiences come from Theme Park Tycoon 2. It's peaceful, never ending, non combative, non competitive (minus the few "My park is better than yours" kids), just feel free to express yourself game. So I have plenty of theme parks I make. I try to make season specific themes as well, I have series on Christmas and Halloween, etc. So when I make videos, I use images! For instance last years Halloween, recording my walk through of my Haunted House, which many roblox gamers explored in my park themselves... My recording had flashing spooky images pop on screen that you otherwise wouldn't see if you were in game touring my park. That's just example. Some games, I don't do any added editing to, I can play Civilization VI for upto 2 hours, recording it all, and when I produce video, I compress it by making it 2-4x speeds and talk about what i'm doing, and react to how i'm playing, and make jokes, but no added images, or other effects. Just me talking over my game play. That's just example of some of the game experiences I record.
As for talking over? Once I get through completing the first completion of my video, my Rough draft. Including all my images added, I use songs found on YT content Creator library, with proper credit where it's due for copyright laws, I add background music to almost all of my videos. Any audio sound clip I include, I add various filters in Shotcut; Gain/Volume filter set to -15 upto -30 dba, Trebble/Mid/Bass filter, with preset settings based on S.Fx, Background music, or Voiceover, which sort of play with different bass and treble settings depending what it is. I don't even know if I have those correctly set! I also add a Normalize; 2 Pass filter, with it set about -10 or -12 dba lower than the Gain/Volume filter is set, and of course the Normalizer must do an analysis of the sound file it's applied to before it works. I test and test and retest each sound file with my stereo headphones on, volume output on computer set 60/100, and I play with those audio filters til the sound settings are set to where it doesn't sound too loud, for me! Again, with headphones/laptop output set to 60/100. When I'm happy every sound bit has been reviewed, and everything looks right. I "Export" the file (the Save as process for final drafting new video file) into a completed folder I use for my YT uploads.

BUT FIRST. Once that extracting process is done (anywhere from 15m -1h15min depending on length of video), I watch the video rough draft (call it that, as I'm not done creating) as a preview, getting ideas in my head what I'm going to say on my voiceover recording, but also double checking to make sure it looks right, pictures, video fades, sounds and music, everything looks how I wanted it to. If anything is too far off (recently been having issues with sound), I go back to Shotcut, open the same project, make some edits, and save/extract over the same name, til I get it right. Than, my final step. I watch it a second time, again in Win Media program on one screen, with Audacity recording in other screen. I have my Stereo headphones/headset on, boom mic in face, and I'm talking to my viewers, to my video, while watching my video. I'm basically recording my voiceover, as I watch through my game play video. I make wisecracks, joke about myself, maybe explain what's going on, etc etc. It's a voiceover, and I basically say what ever I think is important at that moment! Do I script? No. Although, on my Civ VI video playthroughs, as well as my Conker videos, I try to take notes on time points, like chapters of video, when important things about to start, and if I can get accurate time points written down watching it, I add those to my final upload and video description on YT. Once done watching video, recording my voiceover, I save the audio file, new title according to video i'm making "Name + voiceover" and I extract that to a folder i have in my YT Video project folder. I open back ShotCut, reopen the same project I already started, and than open the Audio file "video name voiceover" and make some cuts on that (as it's all one voiceover recording, some parts are quiet as I'm not talking during intro cuts (previously made transition videos, etc), and make sure it's a clean cut audio. Than add that to a new audio time line making sure it lines up as best I can with video where supposed to go.

Often in this final draft setup, If I haven't already added the final credits page, I do so now. I make sure the information is current, often lining up on a .text doc file all the songs i'm using on specific video, and the information needed for creator credit etc, and add all that detail as needed to my end of video black screens, as well as my thank you's, etc.
Once all that is done, gone smoothly!! I Extract it again, using same name as before (is that bad?), and it askes "File exists already, save over?" so I do. The final draft extraction with the voiceover and final edits, usually take about 45m -2h depending on length and detail of video! I often go off somewhere else, or play XBOX, or even leave house, errands, etc. Come back later to a completed extracted project. I always review my final draft again, making sure everything with video is how I wanted it, this time hearing it with my voiceover! Satisfied. I always upload it to YT either Fri, or Sat, for Sat or Sun release. I have LOTS of videos on my YT channel made just this way, with variations of course through out the different videos! I have more variations of my video making process than LOKI Has Variants across the broken timeline!! (HAHA... Yes, big MARVEL fan here)!

SOOOO.... Why all this descriptive explanation of my video editing procedure?? Cause for the most part, most of this I figured out on my own, or watching HOW TO's here on YT. Taking tips, pointers, from other's YT channels I follow. I really had NO ONE teach or train me how to do all this! So, I'm always wondering if I'm doing things right, or if there's better way, or if I can do something differently!! BUT. I recently discovered, in my current video I'm working on, as I mentioned earlier in my detailed description of my process, After extracting my rough draft, as I preview my video prior to making my voiceover, the music I added is coming in speakers WAYYYYYY too loud!! NO way I recorded it that loud, I thought! No way! Sure enough, I open the shotcut project, and review it in shotcut, and double check the filters, and everything sound FINE!! GOOD! Acceptable! I extract it again, same filename saving over last. Return to watch/preview the video, and the background music WAYYYY too loud! Same process I explained above when selecting music, and adding filters, and determining proper sound levels!? Same procedures! YET, the finish product is WAY MUCH LOUNDER than what I am hearing in my creating/editing mode! Volume set at 60, Gain/Volume filters at -15 or -20dba, a few songs are louder than others, so I have them at -30 dba. I add same Bass/Mid/Treb filter to all my sound files, but for music, I have preset for filter titled "Music Tracks" which has Bass up to at 4.8dba, mid at 1.6dba, Treb at 5.8dba. Also the Normalize 2 pass filter, set about 5-10 dba lower than the Gain/Volume is set. So some lighter songs, my be around -24 dba while the Gain/V was at -16 or -20. Higher impact songs, loud thumps, heavy beats, the Normal 2 pass filter was set to -34 in some instances, and the Gain/V filter was set to around -20 or -24.

YET, in my rough draft, before even I add voiceover, with computer volume at 60/100, I preview the video, and it's BLOWING MY ears out!! What am I doing wrong people?? Please help!

I am sorry for the long drawn out heavily detailed description! I believe more detail gives better idea, or mental picture, and is important when describing things! I'm VERY DETAILED in everything I do!
Feel free to browse some of the work i've done already! My channel, if I understand it correctly, should be listed below. Besides helping me with this particular task...

Ifanyone here has ANY suggestions as to what I'm doing, how I could do better?
Let me know!
Thanks,
Dman!
Daddy Dman (YT)
DmanRoboDad (Roblox)
Daddy3Dman81 (Xbox)

Last edited:
Back