A Question About Compilation Videos That Feature Clips from Movies and TV Shows

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
I have looked at a lot of threads in the copyright room to get a better idea about what I need to watch out for when publishing videos on YouTube.

Music seems to be a big no no as music creators will be able to monetise your video and take your earnings (I realise this is not always a big issue e.g. if you are looking to increase your subscriber base).

However, I am not sure how clips from TV and movies are handled.

Take a channel such as CinemaSins, for example (one of my favourite channels). Each video contains many clips from the same film.

Is using clips from films fair game, or are the makers of CinemaSins facing copyright problems from Hollywood?

And what about music. What if you show a one minute clip from a film that just happens to contain a song by an artist in the background. Would that raise copyright issues with the creator of the song?

I am hoping to do some compilation clips in the future at one point, so I am keen to know how YouTubers are affected by this kind of thing. I see clips used in YouTube videos all the time and the clips are monetised, which leads me to think using clips of film and tv is ok. But copyright is such a complicated issue that I thought it would be best to find out more.

Kevin

The thing is, I don't like to assume, but my assumption is that successful channels can get away with copyrighted material a lot easier than others, maybe they sign something in their contract saying they take a pay cut to use copyrighted material, but all tv and film materials should be able to be claimed against for copyright, as they state indefinitely that the information should not be recorded or reproduced, which would almost definitely including uploading on YouTube.

It's such a complicated issue as different countries have different rules and regulations on copyright and definitions on what is considered fair use.

I have seen people say "Always ask for permission". Though I doubt big movie producers are going to sit and respond to clips from Joe Bloggs asking if they can use a clip of their film.

Back