A Guide to a Good Youtube Gaming Setup

LukeToThePast

Okay, so, I don't have channel, but hopefully I will sometime in the future. I'm planning on doing things like top 10s and reviews and such, which has been done to death at this point, but hey, it's different between doing it for fun and doing it to get big. I don't plan on getting big; if I do, cool. People like my s**t and I'm happy. But I'll be happy doing something I enjoy, whether I have 10-1000 subscribers.

Despite my lack of experience, through observation, I can tell there are people trying to do things where they don't understand how much effort is needed to put into it. Making sure you have good equipment along with the motivation to do what you want is important. It's like the endless children that are clones of famous LPers, where they think "Quality < Quantity". They upload 12 videos a day, all unedited with bad pauses within and terrible impressions.

I think it's important to do something like this; while it isn't the definitive setup people should look to when doing something like this, I think something along the lines of having these is important.

1). A good microphone: Something that's clear and easy on the ears is probably the most important thing in gameplay videos, because if you're a LPer, it's usually the commentary someone watches you for, so muffled desktop microphones probably won't cut it. I'd suggest something along the lines of a Blue Snowball or a microphone around that price range if you're starting out. Getting a £40 microphone with a pop filter should total to around £52 maybe, which isn't a lot if you save up. Save up for a good microphone, and just don't speak into the microphone so badly that it's almost necessary to have a pop filter if you can't afford it.

2). EDITING SOFTWARE: While a microphone is important for LPers, editing software is vital for almost any kind of Youtube channel, and I couldn't recommend Adobe Premiere Pro enough. It's £16 a month, which, to be honest, isn't a lot in my eyes. The amount you can do with Adobe Premiere Pro CC with the cost of it is amazing. Of course, it isn't good for beginners, so I'd say, unless you're feeling brave, you go for something you can pay for altogether in 1 without payments over the months, which is Sony Vegas. Either of these 2 are brilliant to use, but Adobe Premiere Pro CC is the one for me. They both have free trials too, so just check them out and look up tutorials for a month to get used to either one.

3). Capturing footage: This is one I don't see as too necessary if you're not a LPer, because people upload a lot of footage for games that you may be reviewing, and so you don't need to record it yourself. Still, there might some footage you need, and so, I'd say go for cheaper ones you can find. A lot of people use Elgato, but for HD only, I'd go for the Hauppauge - HD PVR 2, because that's slightly cheaper but is incredibly easy to use imo. Then again, a lot of people go for Elgato, and I can agree. For PC, something like Fraps or Dxtory.

Other things can be useful, like Adobe Photoshop CC, which is cheaper than Premiere Pro by almost half at just under £9. There are some things i may be missing, so if people would be helpful to others by replying with other essential things, for people that may look at this and decide which things they need to buy for a Youtube channel. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here's my set up for producing gaming content on PC, which totals about $130 (not including the PC itself).
  • CAD U37 USB Studio Condenser Mic - $45
  • Pop Filter - $5
  • Boom Stand for Mic - $30
  • Sony Movie Studio 13 - $50
  • LoiLo Game Recorder - Free
  • Audacity - Free
  • Paint.NET (for graphics, thumbnails, etc) - Free

Back