YouTubers Targeted for Roku Channel Creation

devops

Reaction score
Has anyone been recruited to setup their content on Roku? Can you think of any reasons (other than we see potential) companies that develop Roku channels (Cynogage, Vid20) would target small YouTubers (less than 100 subscribers and less than 4k channel views total) ? I have tried to dig up anything I can, but I have not found much. Something in my gut just doesn't think it's legit. Thanks in advance!

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
Friend of mine was approached. But he has a big channel. I would assume if you're getting the email at less than 100 subs they just sent out bulk emails in the same way guys swipe right on every tinder profile and sort them out later.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They do it in order to get you to pay for the service. I am told that we can do it ourselves but I have not looked into it yet.

devops

Reaction score
They appear to be fairly new and small, so I was thinking that outside of the negative line of thoughts that maybe they are just looking for anyone they can grab to make them look bigger. There is no cost to the creator based on the wording of the contract and if things did take off they would make out well from the deal. I'd hate to pass up an opportunity that may help us grow, but something just doesn't sound right from the pitches. I'll think on it some more. Thanks for the responses! Nice video @The NotARubicon!

Reactions: markkaz

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
They do it in order to get you to pay for the service. I am told that we can do it ourselves but I have not looked into it yet.
I just signed up as a Direct Publisher going solo. What you are seeing is obviously the Roku equivalent of an MCN. Roku has a monetization programme; but I suspect there is also a review process to get in. You need a Roku Developer Account, and a Roku Player to get started. You don't have to pay for Roku Service to have a channel as far as I can see...so far.

https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/direct-publisher/getting-started.md

My player will arrive sometime tomorrow. There is a sale on right now on Roku hardware; so if anyone besides me wants to experiment, head over to Amazon before Roku changes its mind, and ends the sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: markkaz