YouTuber Zoella's new book gets negative reviews

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru

Millionaire YouTube star Zoella has faced criticism from disappointed fans over her new party planning guide.

The 28-year-old influencer, real name Zoe Sugg, released Cordially Invited, her first foray into non-fiction, earlier this month after publicising it extensively on her social media channels.

Fans were promised a 'beautifully photographed lifestyle book, divided into seasons and packed full of ideas, inspiration and DIYs', that covered everything from the influencer's favourite recipes to advice on decorations.

However the £10 title has been met with dozens of negative reviews online, with 54 per cent of shoppers giving it a one star rating:

Sounds like she's just cashing in on her brand without making any real effort. I'd be embarassed to write a book, knowing it was terrible. Although, I'm not really sure what her "fans" were expecting - Her videos are pretty much the same. Lots of pretty faces and footage of pretty objects with lots of pretty music but with very little substance. I guess it's easier to gloss over thin content on YouTube, not so much when it's in a book?

Thoughts?

Reactions: videoeditgr

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unfortunately, that's what a lot of people are looking for, pretty stuff with no substance. But while you can't complain too much when you're getting a video for free, having to buy a book with the same uninspired nonsense might make people mad.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Nevertheless as long as we speak youtube here she will probably get a positive spike in her channel and videos. Youtube dont care if people complain or didn,t like the book as long as they do it through the platform.

The real problem is that dighital age,s kids might go: nah, told you, books don,t worth! And that is the real problem with pretty but shallow influencers. Using their power for fast earnings.

:/

Reactions: LandyVlad and Crown

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I doubt that she picked out the items/subjects for the book anyway. A publisher likely did all of the work.

Reactions: Crown

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
She had the same complaints last year, I think it was with a Calendar. The calendar came with a bundle of merch or whatever around last Christmas and everyone said she ripped them off

Last edited:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think it would have made a good magazine -- but I don't know about a hardcover book. If I were making a big picture-oriented "inspirational lifestyle thingy" like that, I'd split it up by the season and print 4 different magazines as the seasons approached. People buy magazines to look at pictures -- It's like it was the original Pintrest. She could have sold ad space and incorporated other writer's stories. I think that would have been neat, and maybe she could have made it an annual-subscription thing. I sense that she seems to be trying to move away from YouTube.

Her videos are pretty much the same. Lots of pretty faces and footage of pretty objects with lots of pretty music but with very little substance.
I can't help but think my videos are just pretty places with pretty music..hmm.. *questioning my own youtube channel lol* BUT....There's a market for everything.... ^^

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My wife loves beauty and fashion "lifestyle" YouTubers. When I hear her watching them, I think they have ZERO substance, but then I remember the videos aren't for me! I'm a 31 year old dude into tech and marketing.

She is ridiculously successful and has many fans, so can't knock her for that. But what I can knock her for is rushing a low quality publication to her fans to make a quick buck. That isn't congruent with her personal brand values, so I think success has got to her head and now it's all about money...

Feel bad for her true fans really.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I can't help but think my videos are just pretty places with pretty music..hmm..

That's different. Your channel is a music channel. Pretty music is the "substance" and it's a real talent. She just has that annoying jingling music while telling people what she had for breakfast lol.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
That's different. Your channel is a music channel. Pretty music is the "substance" and it's a real talent. She just has that annoying jingling music while telling people what she had for breakfast lol.
Thank you! :) But...Well.. I think she brings some value, although I don't watch her videos very often -- I sometimes watch out of curiosity more than anything. I have zero knowledge about beauty products, and some of that "high end" makeup stuff can get SUPER EXPENSIVE! There's an entire aisle of mascara that costs $25+....and eye shadows that are...$50!? Holy crap! x_x I don't know which ones are "worth it," and there really is a huge difference between how the expensive stuff looks/stays vs. the cheap stuff that only makes a big mess. However, each time I've tried to buy "expensive makeup" on my own, it's been extremely disappointing (mainly allergic reactions...). :S But, the few things I've bought that she has recommended, whether sponsored or not lol, have actually become some of my favorite things. ^^ So...I find some of her content useful when I start to look into all that "girly stuff" that I'm completely clueless about. It's like she taught me a tiny bit about how to be more female, and saved me a few headaches and hives haha!

So I think there is a bit of value there, just not the kind most guys might be looking for. :p A big book -- I don't know about that.... :/ I wonder what her next thing will be? She's had a lot of criticism from her last two products....

IvoryHoward

Reaction score
Thanks! I recently finished writing an essay on a comparable topic that was a lot of fun to research and write. In order to generate a high-quality student paper, I put in a lot of time and work. This was a success. If you're interested in statistics, check out https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/stereotypes/ and you'll discover a wealth of beneficial information. Using this method to write an essay was a lot of fun for me.

Last edited: