Youtube Playlists

Bgirl Sonia

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi y'all !

I have a random (maybe stupid LOL) question:

When we create a playlist, if we put famous videos in it (in relation with your channel theme) and add yours in it, are you likely to be more visible and gain more viewers/subscribers ?

It's a random question I have playlists but with only my videos, I just wondered lol

Fox Beat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Nah... I don't think that will work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think so. If they watch your playlist they will be directed towards that video yes. But it is not affiliated to your channel nor the play list on the video side. It would push traffic that way potentially. That is about it though.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, but it depends.
Every time you make a playlist, you create a unique Id in Yt (sort of like a video Id). It gets referenced. if you setup all the backend correctly, the playlist will appear in search. If you promote the playlist via Cards and End Screens, and share it on social media (if you have a following somewhere), and you bring viewers into the playlist, then not only will you create session starts (a big plus) but also an algorithmic association may be made between your channel and the other channel/s. In addition, a % of people will watch videos sequentially, so if you intersperse your videos and other relevant, high view and high engagement videos, it most definitely will lead to increases watch time. Playlist watch times are generally higher than individual video watch times. Your videos will also be part of a sequence of watches with other popular videos. A great way to train the neural nets running on the backend and build associations, assuming you can get high enough views of the playlist.
So yes it does work, but there's a lot you have to do as well on your end apart from just 'make a playlist'. Don't forget a keywords rich title and description for the playlist, and international translations as well.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think the over-simplified version is that people can find that famous video via your playlist, but they're not going to find your playlist via that famous video.

Reactions: pupandie

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I believe this does help if you create a great description for your playlists to get found. I'm sure if you have running vlogs and added other running vloggers like Casey Neistat and other popular videos, Some people may be curious to see your style of vlogging.

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yes, but it depends.
Every time you make a playlist, you create a unique Id in Yt (sort of like a video Id). It gets referenced. if you setup all the backend correctly, the playlist will appear in search. If you promote the playlist via Cards and End Screens, and share it on social media (if you have a following somewhere), and you bring viewers into the playlist, then not only will you create session starts (a big plus) but also an algorithmic association may be made between your channel and the other channel/s. In addition, a % of people will watch videos sequentially, so if you intersperse your videos and other relevant, high view and high engagement videos, it most definitely will lead to increases watch time. Playlist watch times are generally higher than individual video watch times. Your videos will also be part of a sequence of watches with other popular videos. A great way to train the neural nets running on the backend and build associations, assuming you can get high enough views of the playlist.
So yes it does work, but there's a lot you have to do as well on your end apart from just 'make a playlist'. Don't forget a keywords rich title and description for the playlist, and international translations as well.
Thank you again for such helpful info. When you say, "setup all the backend correctly" on a playlist, what do you mean specifically? Do you mean to have a keyword rich title, description, and translations for the the playlist?

This is something I definitely need to do since I do do anything with playlists besides recommending it on cards here and there. On my end screen, I recommend 2 videos, the last most recent video published and the video YT recommends. Do you recommend instead to suggest playlists?

I haven't placed any other people's videos into my playlists until last week. I'll definitely look into adding others that are related since this might improve session times. Thanks again for your help.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you again for such helpful info. When you say, "setup all the backend correctly" on a playlist, what do you mean specifically? Do you mean to have a keyword rich title, description, and translations for the the playlist?

This is something I definitely need to do since I do do anything with playlists besides recommending it on cards here and there. On my end screen, I recommend 2 videos, the last most recent video published and the video YT recommends. Do you recommend instead to suggest playlists?

I haven't placed any other people's videos into my playlists until last week. I'll definitely look into adding others that are related since this might improve session times. Thanks again for your help.
Yep, backend = all that + Cards and End Screens. For End Screens, I go with 4 - subscribe, best for viewer, most recent, and te current playlist the video belongs too in case they want to see more. But 4 may be too much, perhaps it's best to have 2 or 3, I have not really tested it to see what works best. Would be interesting to see a result if someone does want to test what configs work best. Yt does state it is best to drive viewers into a playlist as opposed to individual videos.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

pupandie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the over-simplified version is that people can find that famous video via your playlist, but they're not going to find your playlist via that famous video.
you are right on the money sir .. I tried this for one of my videos entitled "how to tell if a guy is really into you" .. and google did place that playlist on the second page for a day before pushing it down to no mans land .. the playlist still exists with no view till date ..

Reactions: xingcat