YouTube partnership = more views?

BookieBookie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Dear everyone,

I just started out with my YouTube channel. It's about English literature and my mission statement is to encourage people to get into the classics, like Moby d**k and 1984 and such. (Unpopular subject, I know, but this is what I want to do.)

Now, I'd love to reach out and be more visible for that to work. As of now, to even find my channel, you have to type in "Bookie Bookie!", filter to Channels and then find me in the ninth spot.

I was wondering: does becoming a YouTube partner make my channel and videos more visible?

I can imagine YouTube's algorithms giving priority on videos they can make (more) money off. I don't much care for making money off this channel myself, but I do care about visibility. I'll become a YouTube partner and place ads if it makes me more visible, but I won't bother my viewers with ads (and undermine my mission statement) if it's only for my wallet.

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Dylan

AnnaGermanGirl

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey Dylan, I was always wondering this but I don't think I've seen any hard evidence on it. I didn't start monetizing my channel until it took off, but then it took off some more. :) I guess, try and see!

Btw, I think your channel idea is super awesome! :) Which of all these Bookie Channels is your channel? The 9th one that pops up in my search is Christopher Bookie (and as you're "Dylan", I'm assuming that's not you?).

RyanH

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
YouTube have said that it doesn't affect the ranking of your content, but many have disputed this.

BookieBookie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you for your answers and support! :) I probably won't be monetizing soon, as the presence of ads may stifle the growth of my channel at this point. But it's interesting to hear that people still aren't sure about this.

In order to still be found by people, I've created a little Wix webpage, at least until I can get a custom YouTube URL

Now my next step can be to print simple business cards with this link (and the future YouTube URL), so my guest speakers and I can pass a card to anyone interested. Of course, it's not as powerful as giving someone a clickable link, but I suppose it will have to do!

Thank you both again!

Kind regards,
Dylan

Last edited by a moderator:

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you for your answers and support! :) I probably won't be monetizing soon, as the presence of ads may stifle the growth of my channel at this point. But it's interesting to hear that people still aren't sure about this.
I doubt the presence of ads would stifle the growth of your channel. Would you stop watching a channel you really like, because once in a while you have to click away a little advertisement?

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I doubt the presence of ads would stifle the growth of your channel. Would you stop watching a channel you really like, because once in a while you have to click away a little advertisement?
But YouTube wants to make money, so it makes more sense to rank videos higher if they're going to show ads, right? Not saying monetization will increase viewers, but just thinking out loud.

Aegislasher

Leader of the GoudaEmpire
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
its nice seeing people out there trying to spread a positive message. A channel about reading books is an excellent idea

BookieBookie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Well, opinions seem to differ about this. laurenzside seems to advise against monetising too early in her topic What I Learned While Gaining My First 1,000 Subs, because the risk of scaring away new followers with ads outweighs the monetary gain. However, if ads scare away 50% of the new followers but make my videos 300% more visible, I'd still increase my inflow of followers by 50%, in theory. It's hard to make an informed decision when these numbers are lacking, but maybe I'lll follow AnnaGermanGirl's advise and wait with monetising until the ball starts rolling, or at least until I run out of business cards.

But YouTube wants to make money, so it makes more sense to rank videos higher if they're going to show ads, right? Not saying monetization will increase viewers, but just thinking out loud.
This is exactly what I wonder. They apparently claim this isn't the case, but it makes so much sense that it almost has to be true, right? What with them being a billion dollar company?

its nice seeing people out there trying to spread a positive message. A channel about reading books is an excellent idea
Thank you very much! :)

Reactions: Clam-