Hot Topic YouTube news - "Creators for change"

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
So today I saw this announcement by Youtube:

_________

YouTube Creators for Change is a global initiative that supports creators like you – creators who are tackling social issues and promoting awareness, tolerance and empathy on their YouTube channels. Because no matter what kind of videos we make, we all have the power to help create the world we want.

Our Creators for Change ambassadors are using their voices and creativity to speak out against hate speech, xenophobia and extremism. In collaboration with YouTube, creators like Humza – featured here – are showing their fans and the world new perspectives and new ways to drive social change.

We believe that sharing your voice through video is one of the most powerful ways to help create a world where everyone can be heard. And at YouTube, we want to do our part by giving you tools, insights and best practices for using your voice and videos to help make the kind of social change you believe in.

_______

They then introduce their so-called "ambassadors":

Creators for Change ambassadors drive greater awareness and foster productive dialogue around social issues through content creation and speaking engagements.

and also their so-called "fellows" -

Alongside our ambassadors, we've established the fellowship program to support the next generation of emerging creators using their voice for good on YouTube:

More info - https://www.youtube.com/yt/creators-for-change/

What are your thoughts on this ?

How do you feel about Youtube promoting these channels heavily? How do you feel about YouTube telling us that these creators are well positioned to educate the world about "social change"?

I clicked on one of the "fellows" at random and his bio was as follows:

"Ezaldeen Aref is a Yemeni YouTube creator who started his YouTube channel in Jan 2016, when he needed to share studying tips and techniques with his fellow students. He then started uploading regular videos sharing his opinions about different social issues through messages of positivity and inspiration. He encourages his young audience to invest their time, find their passion and to learn more. He also shares his life both as a student and as a content creator through the vlogs he makes."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how is he changing the world? He started in January 2016 and honestly he's not doing anything revolutionary. There are hundreds and thousands of channels making vlogs. He's hardly splitting the atom or changing humanity.

Do these channels really deserve all this exposure ?!

Is this really about "social change" (whatever that is) or is it about Youtube trying to attract advertisers back to the site?

Thoughts ?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Perhaps Youtube wants to show that the website can and is a place for positivity as well. Instead of a place the past advertisers call, "Cyber Bullying," "Filled with Hate speech," "Racist videos," and so on. I'm pretty for it for channels to spread more knowledge and love. I don't think it'll have a huge impact or anything but it's better then anyone posting negative videos on a daily basis.

World's Greatest

Reaction score
Look at the names/list of their pick. It's a diversity pick. Some folks got lucky.

vMinti

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think that has something to do, just as Farley Productions above said, with all the scandals YouTube was involved in lately.

They want to show that they support spreading positivity and all those good vibes in their website. And indeed, these lists look completely random. Probably they've just went with whatever goes, just to quickly spread their message.

TimberwolfMKIII

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I definitely feel that this is YouTubes way of trying to put a bandaid on the issue, and cover up and save some face.

I think that it is just the way the world reacts to things in general. Whenever something gets blown up in the media it then spirals out of control into a witch hunt.

There are so many people who do a lot of good with YouTube, and for some reason YouTube never seems to really acknowledge those cases often to defend itself.

Reactions: Crown

filipaschannel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's a good initiative to be fair but also a great cover up. Brings positivity tho so let's just be grateful for that.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
these lists look completely random.
The lists are definitely not random. Look at the demographics of the people selected. Check out their channels. It's very very imbalanced.

YouTube gets called racist, then magically makes this "diverse" group of people special partners with them.
Exactly, the whole project is just so contrived and fake, it's cringeworthy. It's actually quite offensive that they think some of these creators are some sort of experts at "life". And now that YouTube has said this is what they're promoting, we're going to get a huge influx of fake forced content from more self-elected gurus at life.

*cringe*

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
When I hear the word "change" I run in the opposite direction as fast as I can. Also I never heard of these people, don't really watch YouTube anyway and wasn't invited (despite being a racial minority in my country myself)

Reactions: Crown and Lightsen

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If I give you my real opinion about this new "initiative" of YouTube I may use some uncensored words. So I rather pass on this one. :)

Reactions: Crown