YouTube Likes/Dislikes - Should it just be likes?

Do you like the likes/dislikes system?

• I dont care about the likes system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is the likes/dislikes system?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
What do you think of the rating system on YouTube, do you think it should just be you either like a video or you dont get to rate or do you think the current system on there works well?

For me I think it should just be likes and unlike, unlike removing the initial like, just how our likes system works here. Without a dislike button it leaves very little things a troll/hater can do to get to someone on YouTube for example say someone at school found out about a channel of yours and had multiple accounts and decided to dislike all your videos or if you just had one crazy hater on there which does happen often, they can use that to upset the person making the videos, of course they can turn them off but they shouldnt have to do that just because of a handful of idiots.

It wouldnt be so bad if they could be hidden to guests but ratings are still allowed so only you can see the ratings, or perhaps a comment needs to be left when disliking/liking so feedback is guaranteed and deletable if a troll has commented.

I know likes and dislikes influence people a lot on there, for example say a video had 200 likes and 500 dislikes, people viewing might notice that and get a bad impression of the video before they even begin to watch it and they might base their decision from them and they could all be trolls/haters etc that generated them, I know 500 sounds like a lot but there are people on YouTube with thousands of accounts never mind 500.

What are your thoughts on the likes and dislikes system? I will add a public poll to this too :)

But what about people who post videos and look for feedback from their fanbase? I've seen this in numerous videos where they specifically use the likes and dislikes to improve their craft, or to use it as a poll. Also, you can figure out what people like and what they don't.

Youtube is an ugly place for the sensitive, unfortunately. Trolls roam the digiroads.

And I think that's the point of the like/dislike system, usually trolls are in the minimum, so for your video to have 200 likes and 500 dislike, it means that not only the trolls don't like the video.

I think it should be used as a tool to be productive. If I see someone spamming videos in my inbox...check out their video and see a 13 second clip of someone cutting their hair, I'm gonna hit that "dislike" button. Not because I'm trolling, but because I'm watching a s****y video. If they don't want the dislikes, you shouldn't advertise it. I think it's as simple as that.

But what about people who post videos and look for feedback from their fanbase? I've seen this in numerous videos where they specifically use the likes and dislikes to improve their craft, or to use it as a poll. Also, you can figure out what people like and what they don't.

Youtube is an ugly place for the sensitive, unfortunately. Trolls roam the digiroads.

And I think that's the point of the like/dislike system, usually trolls are in the minimum, so for your video to have 200 likes and 500 dislike, it means that not only the trolls don't like the video.

I think it should be used as a tool to be productive. If I see someone spamming videos in my inbox...check out their video and see a 13 second clip of someone cutting their hair, I'm gonna hit that "dislike" button. Not because I'm trolling, but because I'm watching a s****y video. If they don't want the dislikes, you shouldn't advertise it. I think it's as simple as that.

I understand what you are saying completely, that is why the system even exists so people can have a quick way of saying whether they like the video or not but it has turned into something more than that, a method to troll and also a way for people to be pathetic now and then, for example, your last video, there could be someone who hits the dislike button solely because they didnt like what you were wearing, not because of the content, not because they didnt enjoy the video, just because they didnt like what clothes you had on, or the way your hair was or the colour of your hat :D It has got like that for videos where people make a personal appearance and it is a big shame. It is things like that why I dont like the current system myself.

In your example it does sound right yes but say you had an unpopular channel at present and received say 50 dislikes and 5 likes, all in an hour or two, you can start to suspect something IS up with whoever is rating the video, I am talking about a channel where only a handful of people know about it with little advertising, this is why I think you should be able to perhaps disable dislikes and allow likes only, the same as on here.

I know what you mean about using it as a tool to be productive, the author can normally use it like that but for many they cannot rely on them because there are so many variables as to why someone wouldn't like a video and the same goes for liking it. That's why I would like to see a comment system added to the likes, that would REALLY give us true and proper feedback to work with and perhaps a few extra trolls and insults to read but at least you would know who it was and be able to block them.

Would you dislike a decent video someone made if sent to you at random? I get that youre not trolling, that isnt really trolling as a troll tends to deliberately go out there looking to upset others, youre just hitting it because 1. they spammed you and two the video sucked :D It's interesting hearing others opinions on this.

Well, I understand that, and yes, there are holes in the system, but that's one extreme negative versus the other positive effects of having both a like and dislike button.

I feel like JUST a like button only serves as something used as a digital pat on the back, a "good job, buddy!" if you will. But adding that second feature is more like what most countries a built on, the simple privilege to say "I don't like this." Does there really need to be a rhyme or a reason to someone not liking something? No. And yes, there are people that will abuse the system, but the same can go for the other spectrum.

You may remember a certain someone who was ******* their video out for likes, practically begging for them. Does his video particularly deserve your like? Personally, I didn't think it did, but I liked it anyway because he asked me to. Now, here's the real problem, this is the exact same thing you were talking about for the dislikes, yes? Except in the dislike case, the troller was promoting someone else's video to get more dislikes. Yes, it misleads, but at the same time, so does like *******.

The system is flawed, but like all human creation, things are unpredictable.

It's unfortunate that either circumstance happens, but then how would we be able to state our anonymous distaste for something other than a dislike button? A comment can lead to a confrontation if you don't want it. Personally, I don't care if you don't like my shirt or my hat or the way I talk in a video. Hell, you might be racist, but if you want to dislike something, I feel like it should be your right to say so. I think FB needs a dislike button, lol.

I like your perspective on this and it does make a lot of sense. Likes and dislikes can be abused, this opens up another question, should we really take them into account of what people really think of another persons video? I think my own opinions have been formed because of all the abuse that goes on with the dislike feature, they could limit each user to one account but that would be far too limiting of people who genuinely use a few channels so that idea is flawed and failed already, they do have to think of the genuine users mostly and how they interact.

I think I remember although it could be someone completely different, there are many out there :D Another question is should people make accounts themselves and like their own trolled videos in order to level things out? It seems that could be a good suggestion to those who suffer this on there.

Your last paragraph was hilarious, it is good to see people who dont care about what others do/think and it is that confidence that will help you get somewhere, I only wish I was the same and let comments and things like this slide without giving a crap about it :D

For me if I put the abuse of the system to one side and think of the genuine dislikes it does put things more in perspective of how to look at it and form an opinion of it. When I think of it without that giving me a bit of a negative opinion about it all I do think the system is fine as it is and I wouldn't change it, I must say I aint so keen on the new reactions they have recently added though.

Likes and dislikes are too easily botted. I only trust one of them, which is dislikes, when there are a ton on a video. Dislike bots are so much more uncommon than like bots.

Then again, just likes are morel ikely to be botted also.

I prefer the Like/Dislike system, as it is better than no system but the best than any other alternative system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back