Hot Topic ** YOUTUBE HEROES (all discussion goes here only) **

avilsd

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, that person's flags will get reviewed. (That's part and parcel of YouTube's heroes). YouTube will see the pattern of that person just flagging people based on disagreement with content. His flags will get rejected, he will not get any points, he will not level up.

In contrast, anyone could easily flag his comment. That flag would also be reviewed. YouTube will see that that flag is addressing a legitimate instance of harassment (not simply disagreement with content). That flag will be sustained, that user will have a community guidelines strike, and the person who flagged his comment will get a point in the YouTube Heroes system.
I do like that aspect to the system, however for every single one of these people who openly admit to their flags.. I can only imagine if there's like 100 others who just falsely flag in the shadows. My fear is that some borderline content that still fits into the guidelines will get absolutely annihilated by an army of false flaggers. Once it turns into the high numbers.. it gets scary

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
It seems like a great idea, however i can easily see it being used to send hate to a lot of content creators for false accusations. Hopefully YouTube does more then just take down a video that's flagged and actually reviews it.
YouTube always reviews flags. This is not a new thing.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Even the name is terrible: "Heroes" ?!! - Honestly the way it's being marketed, it is just going to attract frustrated keyboard warriors who aren't very good at YouTube in their mum's basement to try and flag as many videos as they can...... just so that YouTube will thank them for being a ........ "hero".

James Doppler

Sir Trollingsworth the 7th
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
Sounds like Scientology's knowledge report system. The flagging system is already abused, now they're encouraging it? Maybe it'll just be another failed experiment like Google+.

This better not be one of those deals where the video gets taken down until review.

Lupusmon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well it seems that to progress up the levels, you have to actually attend some seminar training. Not sure if this will be virtual or not, although it seems in the video that it will be at a physical venue. That alone will cut down on the number of people moving up the levels.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
The flagging videos is already abused. What makes them think this won't make things even worse?

Lupusmon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the main point is to get to people to put in captions and translations. That's the way to get points in the beginning. Something that makes videos easier for people when watching in different languages.

Reactions: subversiveasset

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think the main point is to get to people to put in captions and translations. That's the way to get points in the beginning. Something that makes videos easier for people when watching in different languages.
The most credible criticism I've heard of the program is actually about this. The same skills needed for providing good captions are not necessarily the same skills needed to make good flagging decisions. But since there is only one combined reward system, people can get access to advanced flagging by getting points from submitting captions.

Lupusmon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
True, that makes sense. But if they are meticulous enough to put captioning in, then certainly they can learn the flagging rules properly.