YouTube Cover Copyright Issues?

Bethanyjbee

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
(I hope I put this in the right section?)

I'm wanting to start planning a cover song to put on my channel, but I've heard some stuff about YouTube cover songs being removed/illegal etc. I just want to make sure I know everything that I need to do, so that I don't run into any trouble in the future!

For the cover I'm hoping to collab with a guitarist and a drummer to play the song instead of using a backing track, and I'm also not looking to monetize or anything like that, so I won't be making any money on the video - it's simply just for fun!

Any advice, tips or help on how to get permission if I need it etc is very much appreciated!

Reactions: skenkee

Cameron Dubs

Making David Cameron Sing!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As far as I'm aware, if you're not monetizing it then you could argue that it is under "fair use"

Many of the time, if a Record Label does claim your video, this will not impact on the video itself. It will just mean that they place ads, and earn money from your video (which is fair do's considering they own the rights to the song)

You could always contact the label to make sure, but this could end up making it worse for yourself, as this way they will be monitoring activity for this cover.

After you've grown as a channel, you should think about joining the Fullscreen network. They've got an agreement with Universal Records allowing you to monetize cover songs without any issues.

Reactions: Bethanyjbee

Bethanyjbee

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As far as I'm aware, if you're not monetizing it then you could argue that it is under "fair use"

Many of the time, if a Record Label does claim your video, this will not impact on the video itself. It will just mean that they place ads, and earn money from your video (which is fair do's considering they own the rights to the song)

You could always contact the label to make sure, but this could end up making it worse for yourself, as this way they will be monitoring activity for this cover.

After you've grown as a channel, you should think about joining the Fullscreen network. They've got an agreement with Universal Records allowing you to monetize cover songs without any issues.
Thanks for all the info! :) It's made it a lot clearer to me now - thank you!

skenkee

Mr. Blue
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just making it clear. No it's still not allowed.

Yes people do it and the publishers might have not put a claim on it yet. Just try to stay away from this.

On the other hand like I said before in another topic. When you join for example makers studio, fullscreen etc. They have music libraries that all the partners have allowance to to use. So when you are with Fullscreen you can look in this library and find a song you are allowed to cover. (Also make sure that the song you chose is allowed to be remixed or covered)

Otherwise you still have to find the record company and ask for permission.

Bethanyjbee

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

Another quick question! - I'm having a look at Fullscreen right now, I don't suppose you know if they have a minimum sub count? I'm trying to find somewhere that clears that up - but I'm not having much luck! -
Obviously this is for future reference as I've just completely re-started my channel and I've only got one video and one subscriber! Haha, but it's worth knowing for future reference!
Thanks in advance!

Cameron Dubs

Making David Cameron Sing!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm not sure they have an exact count. If you click apply on their website, it should let you know though.

Another network that offers the same capability is Creator X. This is a "sub network" of Fullscreen, and therefore is the same. Their requirements are much less as it is aimed towards new creators. If you google "Creator X Network" and go to their website, they have an interactive tool to tell you if you meet their requirements or not.

Reaction score
You don't have to join Fullscreen or any other company to do cover songs. If you do everything you said you were going to do you should be ok. If you do not use any background music from a song. If a all the music is something you do or one of your friends do , you should be ok. It would help if you would change a few of the words of the song. Not a lot , just 2 or 3 if you can. Also, if you can. It would help to change the beat,style, tempo of the song a little. Do not try to be an extract copy of another singer. Just be yourself and sing the song your way. It is also good to have one main channel, and 2 test channel. Make all the videos on your test channel unlisted. If you are unsure about copyright on a video. Upload it to you test channel for about a week. If there are not problem then put it on your main channel.

It is also important to remember the software they use to check for copyright music is far from perfect. Even if you write your own words and music to an original song. The system might still match your song to another song.

I don't do cover songs my self. You should try to get in touch with Kawehi on youtube. She seems to be good at replying to comments on her videos. I am a big fan of Kawehi. I think her cover songs are better than the original songs. Go to Youtube and do a search for , Payphone Kawehi .