Youtube banner and Thumbnail issues

Starfox

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

So I am trying to create a youtube cover banner and I am using the correct dimensions advised when creating the picture in photoshop (2560 x 1440 pixels) but what happens is instead of having my banner show up as the first pic below here

It shows up as

I do understand that youtube crops the photo but i wish there was a way to show the whole pic on my desktop?

My other question is, why sometimes and especially if i upload a custom youtube thumbnail will it then not show when i share it on facebook like below?

Reactions: Raisingmomanddad

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't know about the first one but with the second issue sometimes facebook can be just garbage so maybe refresh the page, post the link again and wait to see if your thumbnail comes up.

NathanielGE

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey Starfox.

Along with the specifications YouTube give you an image template. The template shows you how your banner will look on different devices.

If you were to go onto your YouTube account on a smart TV, you should see the whole banner that you originally made.

Tablet is also a bit wider than mobile.

Facebook, I cant give you an in depth answer. From my experience its just random how it comes up. Sometimes it helps to take the full url from the actual video page rather than a shortened link. But usually just retry a few times.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unfortunately you can't show that whole cover art on desktop devices and the rest other than a TV :(. YouTube automatically crops it to be most compatible with the devices people are viewing your channel on.

In regards to the thumbnails, sometime adding new thumbnails takes awhile for YouTube to update it so it won't show on Facebook correctly until it does.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So it looks like your questions were answered....but I just wanted to add....Awesome banner! Love the background pic. I would like that on my desktop

katie myers

Reaction score
Im having same problem its so frustrating my new banner is on youtube buy when i share my channel to facebook its showing my old banner which was blurred so is there no way round this at all? Id prefer to advertise the page instead of i individual videos x

Pluto

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Im having same problem its so frustrating my new banner is on youtube buy when i share my channel to facebook its showing my old banner which was blurred so is there no way round this at all? Id prefer to advertise the page instead of i individual videos x
It may be that youtube/facebook's servers haven't updated yet, therefore when sharing a link it's still got your old banner cached, it'll change eventually. Equally, you could clear your browsing data, cached images and cookies and try refreshing the page. It may be the case that your browser has that image saved in its cache so that it will load quicker.

Boseen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What I usually when I share a video is to delete the old banner and use the thumbnail as an image together with the link. Not optimal, but works for now