Wow, no topic about Jenna Marbles?

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
When I first joined this forum it felt like nobody could stop talking about Jenna Marbles and everything she did and whoever she dated and whatnot. I'm actually kinda surprised that there are no topics about her now that she was bullied off the platform.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not much of a gossip person, but I was sad to see her latest video... :( She perhaps didn't have the best judgement with some of her past video topics, but she seems like someone who means well and doesn't want to hurt anyone. It's kind of scary how stuff you make now on social media can come back to haunt you 10 years later after society's views and ideals may shift gears. Society changed a lot over the last decade. actually, it seems to change a lot every decade. If you think about it, in the 1960s, it was still considered odd, or somewhat taboo, for women to wear pants. MLK was giving speeches, and there was the whole Civil Rights movement. Imagine, if YouTube existed in the 1960s, imagine people trying to defend all the stuff said in the 1960s after the culture shifts, segregation changes, fair housing rights, and new pants-wearing that happened later in the 1970s and 1980s... :eek: Stuff seems gradual day-by-day, but lots of mindset shifts have happened over the last decade (and seems to happen every decade!). What people thought about other people in 2000 was very different than 2010, and 2010 was very different than 2020

Last edited:

R I A

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I disagree with canceling Jenna Marbles all because of that old video. Culture and opinions change over time so it doesn't make sense to cancel her over something that used to be an old culture of sorts.

Last edited:

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
The last 10 years or so the culture towards LGTB, color of your skin and generally social justice has changed a lot.

I will happily admit that 10 years ago I have been slurring crap left and right, which mostly everyone did back then, while no one considered it insulting or wrong. Now it's different. Time changes, we change with it. But cancelling someone for something that could be considered insulting today but not 10 years ago is ridiculous.

Reactions: R I A

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I mean that video that caused all the drama isn't even her "wearing blackface" or whatever they call it. Her skin was just very tan at that point in life, in her other videos she has the same skin color.

I find the whole "blackface" thing odd to begin with, I just don't get what the fuss is all about. However, I'm from a Slavic country, our history and culture didn't have anything to do with black people and western slavery, we had our own set of issues with Ottomans, Habsburgs, fascist and communist regimes etc...

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
IMO she should have just ignored it and kept on going with her content, though she does seem too nice to saying something like 'it was 10 years go, deal with it'.

Also, again this is a sign of hos things change in Youtube. When I first joined, everyone was talking about her, now I see posts asking 'who is she'. Just wow.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The world's gone mad. People are digging into everyone's past and taking great delight in showing how offended they are.