Would my video breech YouTube T&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMQuizology

TheTubeInn
Reaction score
Ive been thinking that along side my quiz show which will be running every Monday, why not do a music quiz later on in the week. I would be doing the show recording myself and I would play 10 random tracks from my Spotify(premium account). I would only be playing about 10-15 seconds of music in order for people to post the song and the artist as the answers. Would this be breeching YouTube's Terms and Conditions and copyright.

QMQuizology

TheTubeInn
Reaction score
Thank you, im gonna give it a whirl and see what happens

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am stumped on this one, according to the link John posted above it seems that you would first need permission from the copyright owners but with it being short clips of music it seems a bit excessive and a waste of time having to go and do that. I have read that pubs need licenses these days to play music in some countries but I dont know if this would apply to yourself, I think it would really only become a problem if you started making money off the videos if you become a YouTube partner.

It is a shame things like this even exist because it isnt like your being malicious or would be really hammering someone else's profits. I would be put off doing them myself but it really is only a decision you can make yourself and knowing that there could be issues in the future, you could try humming them or do something like what they used to do on Shooting Stars years back where they would jokingly do song impressions, I know that wouldn't send any issues your way and it might make them more fun to watch :)

Reactions: LiveStrong

LiveStrong

Super Poster
Reaction score
In my intro and outro I used different parts of the same song and no problems with that so yeah try and if it doesnt work out lesson learned and no harm done :)

QMQuizology

TheTubeInn
Reaction score
Yeah its definitely a tricky one. I suppose i could mix the music a little maybe change the tempo

Tom Mayhew

Reaction score
I've heard something about a "30-second rule", where you can play 30 seconds of a song with no real issues...

Reactions: QMQuizology

QMQuizology

TheTubeInn
Reaction score
Well if thats true then brilliant, video should be uploaded shortly

Tom Mayhew

Reaction score
(I must add; that rule only applies if you aren't making money from the project, I believe)

Status
Not open for further replies.