Why Good Custom Thumbnails Are Important

xHiLite

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So simply what i am going to be explaining is why it is best to have a good thumbnail for your videos, rather then poorly made one.
So here is the example. you have just searched "Call Of Duty Ghosts Information" and 2 of the same title and roughly the same views, one has a simple one color thumbnail with some basic text, and the other is a creative "pop out" thumbnail with good use of colors and pictures to fit with it.
Are you going to click the boring one that looks like no time has been put into at all, or are you going to click the one that looks very creative and professional? Now most people will click the better looking one due to the fact if it seems a lot of work has gone into the thumbnail will most probably think a lot of work has also gone into the video itself. Some may disagree but I did go ask a lot of people in my town and school and most if not all agree. I don't mean create one of those crazy backgrounds you see from wallpaper websites, but, something colorful and different. I understand its easy to go get a template or just have a single color solid fill, but different is good, and that is what makes this world beautiful <3

Here is a example of a fairly simple thumbnail I had made, im not the greatest but its better then a simple Worded thumbnail :)

Thanks for reading <3

Attachments

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Anything that stands out in a good way will almost always get the attention it deserves.

I have added this to our YouTube articles index :)

Gamevolution657

I've Got It
Reaction score
Bit new at thumbnails, Do you just create a generic coloured background and then just change the wording depending on what video your uploading??

soulred12

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Gamer
Bit new at thumbnails, Do you just create a generic coloured background and then just change the wording depending on what video your uploading??
Just think about the kind of thing that would make you want to click on someone's video. Try to make it funny, interesting, surprising, etc. Something to make you say "what the heck is this? I gotta see more."

Of course if you're like me then you might be limited by a lack of artistic abilities so just do the best you can. What I usually do is save a frame of the video as a png file and then add graphics or words to it, and if it's a series I add e.g. "#1" somewhere.

HaileySimone

✈ IN THE AIR ✈
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Gamer
Great tips, totally agree

SoleilTech

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you for writing this, I agree eye-catching thumbnails are key to getting more exposure on your videos. This is definitely something I need to work on.

XtremeN00Bz

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So simply what i am going to be explaining is why it is best to have a good thumbnail for your videos, rather then poorly made one.
So here is the example. you have just searched "Call Of Duty Ghosts Information" and 2 of the same title and roughly the same views, one has a simple one color thumbnail with some basic text, and the other is a creative "pop out" thumbnail with good use of colors and pictures to fit with it.
Are you going to click the boring one that looks like no time has been put into at all, or are you going to click the one that looks very creative and professional? Now most people will click the better looking one due to the fact if it seems a lot of work has gone into the thumbnail will most probably think a lot of work has also gone into the video itself. Some may disagree but I did go ask a lot of people in my town and school and most if not all agree. I don't mean create one of those crazy backgrounds you see from wallpaper websites, but, something colorful and different. I understand its easy to go get a template or just have a single color solid fill, but different is good, and that is what makes this world beautiful <3

Here is a example of a fairly simple thumbnail I had made, im not the greatest but its better then a simple Worded thumbnail :)

Thanks for reading <3
Nice man thumbnails are Important good tip brotha :)

daviddoesgaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I feel as though thumbnails are very important, but as a small channel I am not able to add custom thumbnails yet. What are the requirements needed to be able to make custom thumbnails for youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for the tip.