Why FB is Massively Overpriced for YouTube Promotions

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Untitled.jpg

Our Facebook fan page has 283 likes. Our last post reached 73 people. That's 26% reach. FB does not show our post to the other 74% of people who actually liked our page. Why? Facebook wants us to pay to reach those people.

Facebook wants me to pay $14 to reach 5,500 people. Mind you these will not be highly targeted, but simply people who have an interest in toys/games (what our fan page is about).

Out of those 5,500 I would expect no more than 1% to click to YouTube. (Actually 1% is highly optimistic, it will likely be 0.2-0.5%) Anyways, let's assume 1% click for a total of 55 clicks. So total cost to get 55 views is $14, or a CPC of 25 cents (In terms of CPC, the only clicks that count are the ones that result with the Facebooker going over to YouTube and viewing the video there).

Using Google Adwords, with a CPC set to 1 cent, I can reach 1,400 highly targeted viewers for the same $14. Moreover, I would expect Earned Views of between 20% and 50%, giving total views between 1700 and 2100. (Earned views from a Facebooker would be almost nothing - they left FB to go to YT to view a video, then they want to get back to Facebook, not view another video).

Another point to keep in mind: There's no guarantee that the viewers that FB promotes your post to would have a YT account. Hence there is less chance they click over, and less chance they will sub/like/comment. In Adwords, you can target viewers who have accounts, hence increasing the chance of interaction.

This is the simple reason to never pay for Facebook ads to build your YT channel.

One other thing: I have read that Facebook will give your post higher reach if it doesn't go directly to YT, but goes to your blog (where you would have your YT video embedded). I have as yet to test this out, as we are rebuilding our blog. I would be very surprised if the FB post would have more than 50% reach in that case anyways, so although a slight improvement, it's nothing to call home about.

If someone has actual stats, I am interested in learning what the reach is to a blog. Bottom line with Facebook, they want to keep people on Facebook viewing their own ads and earning money for Facebook (and not sharing with creators). That's why I highly doubt you can build or grow a YT channel with a FB strategy. I would love to be proven wrong, please share your stats!

Last edited:

TwoTakes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Yeah, FB absolutely sucks as a marketing platform.

I had previous experience in a band using FB as a marketing platform over the course of 5 years from 2009- 2014 and we basically just watched it go from a really useful tool, to a not very useful tool, to a rip-off exercise in frustration.

They basically made it work worse, then started charging for it and the service has gone down while the price has just gone up.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This matches pretty much what I have seen about Facebook advertising so far.

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
View attachment 36917

Our Facebook fan page has 283 likes. Our last post reached 73 people. That's 26% reach. FB does not show our post to the other 74% of people who actually liked our page. Why? Facebook wants us to pay to reach those people.

Facebook wants me to pay $14 to reach 5,500 people. Mind you these will not be highly targeted, but simply people who have an interest in toys/games (what our fan page is about).

Out of those 5,500 I would expect no more than 1% to click to YouTube. (Actually 1% is highly optimistic, it will likely be 0.2-0.5%) Anyways, let's assume 1% click for a total of 55 clicks. So total cost to get 55 views is $14, or a CPC of 25 cents (In terms of CPC, the only clicks that count are the ones that result with the Facebooker going over to YouTube and viewing the video there).

Using Google Adwords, with a CPC set to 1 cent, I can reach 1,400 highly targeted viewers for the same $14. Moreover, I would expect Earned Views of between 20% and 50%, giving total views between 1700 and 2100. (Earned views from a Facebooker would be almost nothing - they left FB to go to YT to view a video, then they want to get back to Facebook, not view another video).

Another point to keep in mind: There's no guarantee that the viewers that FB promotes your post to would have a YT account. Hence there is less chance they click over, and less chance they will sub/like/comment. In Adwords, you can target viewers who have accounts, hence increasing the chance of interaction.

This is the simple reason to never pay for Facebook ads to build your YT channel.

One other thing: I have read that Facebook will give your post higher reach if it doesn't go directly to YT, but goes to your blog (where you would have your YT video embedded). I have as yet to test this out, as we are rebuilding our blog. I would be very surprised if the FB post would have more than 50% reach in that case anyways, so although a slight improvement, it's nothing to call home about.

If someone has actual stats, I am interested in learning what the reach is to a blog. Bottom line with Facebook, they want to keep people on Facebook viewing their own ads and earning money for Facebook (and not sharing with creators). That's why I highly doubt you can build or grow a YT channel with a FB strategy. I would love to be proven wrong, please share your stats!
yea FB is overpriced for what we need. although they do have options for more targeting. you could target fb accounts of young parents. and i think there are more specifics you could target. but i wouldn't buy ads on facebook because even if I were to get 1,000 views I am pretty sure it will hurt my retention rate/avg minutes watched.

i do something else on fb that kind of works and is completely free. FB has a lot of groups that are generally active. i'll join all of the larger Thomas & friends groups or transformers, ninja turtles, etc. and if I have a new video I might post it in all of the relevant groups. two weeks ago I posted a couple of videos in like 10 FB groups. I think it was my thomas batcave and voltron video. that week I received 60 views from facebook.

I actually only do this once in a blue moon. Ive done it like three times before. Do it too often and youll be spamming and might get kicked out of the group. and 60 views isn't really worth the effort.

FB groups are what Google Plus communities are trying to be.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
yea FB is overpriced for what we need. although they do have options for more targeting. you could target fb accounts of young parents. and i think there are more specifics you could target. but i wouldn't buy ads on facebook because even if I were to get 1,000 views I am pretty sure it will hurt my retention rate/avg minutes watched.

i do something else on fb that kind of works and is completely free. FB has a lot of groups that are generally active. i'll join all of the larger Thomas & friends groups or transformers, ninja turtles, etc. and if I have a new video I might post it in all of the relevant groups. two weeks ago I posted a couple of videos in like 10 FB groups. I think it was my thomas batcave and voltron video. that week I received 60 views from facebook.

I actually only do this once in a blue moon. Ive done it like three times before. Do it too often and youll be spamming and might get kicked out of the group. and 60 views isn't really worth the effort.

FB groups are what Google Plus communities are trying to be.
Good advice about the YT groups. Have not explored that really. The key as you mention would be to tread lightly less they consider it spam. The other issue would be since we cover lots of different areas and toys, you'd have to join 10 Thomas, 10 Superhero, 10 surprise egg, etc etc groups, before you know it you'll have 100 groups, then when you turn on FB in the morning you'll have 300 notifications! I get like 50 notifications every day as is and I don't do anything on FB apart from the occasional link post and I have maybe 25 personal friends on there.

But yes, the traffic is abysmal. A few dozen views makes no difference to YT, unless the algorithm favors in a positive light incoming links from FB. But taking the animosity between FB/YT into account, I can't imagine YT gives too much credence to FB traffic for ranking purposes.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Good advice about the YT groups. Have not explored that really. The key as you mention would be to tread lightly less they consider it spam. The other issue would be since we cover lots of different areas and toys, you'd have to join 10 Thomas, 10 Superhero, 10 surprise egg, etc etc groups, before you know it you'll have 100 groups, then when you turn on FB in the morning you'll have 300 notifications! I get like 50 notifications every day as is and I don't do anything on FB apart from the occasional link post and I have maybe 25 personal friends on there.

But yes, the traffic is abysmal. A few dozen views makes no difference to YT, unless the algorithm favors in a positive light incoming links from FB. But taking the animosity between FB/YT into account, I can't imagine YT gives too much credence to FB traffic for ranking purposes.
I had to make a completely separate account and email for FB instead of using personal. It gets tons of notifications but I don't really use the account except occasional marketing. out of sight out of mind. Once you start getting the jump in views from suggested section, other efforts like FB seem trivial and not worth the effort. i used to make more effort to scrounge up a couple of views. its a different game when you get more suggested views.

im still stuck within a range of 12k to 20k per day. ive been trying to break out but not yet. im doing less marketing. and more trying to build channel authority. trying to get one of these videos to hit big time so I can get that boost.

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
View attachment 36917

You give me some advice and I also have a question. Should useI Google Adword now or later and Do you get pay for your blog( because I have one as well).

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You can use AdWords at any time and you can monetize your blog with AdSense.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah exactly my experience. I've tested with facebook and although the exposure on Facebook is huge (the reach for me was much higher than predicted) the amount of views on Youtube was very low. For toys, I found out that Females in Pakistan and India actually had the best results after a few campaigns.
I tried promoting posts as well as my Youtube video and channel link on Facebook with little effect. I'm not spending any more money on campaigns on Facebook at least, wasted money.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You give me some advice and I also have a question. Should useI Google Adword now or later and Do you get pay for your blog( because I have one as well).
My reasoning for having a blog/website is not so much to earn revenue from it, but it's to ensure that Google indexes the videos. Yes Google displays related videos in a google search, but those places are filled by top ranking channels, and we all know how hard it is to get to page 1 of Google.

If you have a page/post on your own domain name for every video you upload, and that page has a detailed description of the video (you can use your YT description, but change it around a little as Google hates duplicate content), that is much more long tailed keywords and all sorts of variations for Google to reference. So there's much more chance of your blog coming up as a result in search, even if not in the video section, then in the page section.

I also have Adsense on every page of the blog. I don't expect any revenue. But what it does is force the spider to regularly crawl the page to ensure the ads are relevant to what's on the page. If you don't have Adsense, it's much harder to get the google spider to crawl every page. (Little trick form my old internet marketing days with google sniper sites).

Your other question - when to use Adsense? You need to consider it in terms of your overall marketing strategy. What is your marketing plan? Do you have a marketing budget?[DOUBLEPOST=1470227055,1470226581][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had to make a completely separate account and email for FB instead of using personal. It gets tons of notifications but I don't really use the account except occasional marketing. out of sight out of mind. Once you start getting the jump in views from suggested section, other efforts like FB seem trivial and not worth the effort. i used to make more effort to scrounge up a couple of views. its a different game when you get more suggested views.

im still stuck within a range of 12k to 20k per day. ive been trying to break out but not yet. im doing less marketing. and more trying to build channel authority. trying to get one of these videos to hit big time so I can get that boost.
Ye those suggested slots are the holy grail. I'm no closer to figuring out how to get in there. Although I am adopting a targeting strategy will see if it works. There's a certain component of randomness to it (perhaps what seems like randomness is the algo giving all channels a chance). The algo rotates videos in and out, but it definitely seems you have to be in an authority tier to get a slot. We've only ever had 1 RTR slot for that 1 day, but we have had many slots in 200k-500k channels, and only 2-3 slots in 1m+ channels.