Why does YT sells ads but then allows viewers to block ads?

ThinkerThunker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
All viewers should be required to turn off ad-blockers while on YT - period. I don't understand why anyone spending money on YT advertising would tolerate this? And I for one hate it! For some reason I make far more of my Australian viewers, ad-wise, then all of America where I get the bulk of my views.

Also, creators should have an option to only let subscribers comment. And if someone ever cancels your subscription then no more comments on your channel. That would prevent people from subscribing, commenting then canceling. And yes, some are that petty.

Last: Notify all subscribers. Not just the once who also click on the bell icon.

I've had subscribers think I quit long ago because YT quit notifying them when I put out a new video. I've since learned that YT only notifies about 10% of our most aggressive subscribers. Claiming they don't want to inundate viewers with notifications. BS. NOTIFY MY SUBSCRIBERS. That's why they subscribed.

*** We also need a "three strikes you're out" policy on abusive commentators.

*** Also, being able to Flag videos anonymously is BS. That can be abused as well and should have a three-strikes policy.

Reactions: NickDodd

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I disagree with the majority of that.

Ad blocker mabye a pop-up that recommends turning off ad block. I believe there is a option you can select that will only play your videos to people without ad blocker. But different peoples tolerance to ads is different as well and even the non monetized playbacks can be beneficial to your channel. Then there are creators who are borderline abusive on there ad placement maximum out the allowable amount of ads and fluffing up there videos with filler to make there videos long enough to play more ads and then half the video is a paid placement that falls into borderline spam if you ask me.

I disagree with only allowing comments from subscribers I have gained a lot of subscribers from interacting with non subscribed viewers in the comments.

Yes subscriber notifications Should be improved I agree with that.

Abusive and spam comments are against YouTube rules and you can flag them to bring them to YouTube's attention. And can result in account termination

Also flagging videos and comments copyright ect that do not violate the rules can also result in account termination.

ThinkerThunker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
LOL ... I said "OPTION" for subscribers only. Did you not read? And I disagree with what I think you were saying.Plus, I've got about 35 K + comments so it's been years since I've had the time to go through each one. I think I'm done here with this forum. Thanks, you've made it a great experience :)

ThinkerThunker

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you read my original post you'll see I'm after three things for creators: 1 More options 2 More money 3 More control.

If you're against that you're an idiot. And no, I don't have a chip on my shoulder. It was just disappointing to post a thread here hoping to get some actual feedback from real YT creators who are out there trying to make a living. Instead I get an ignorant response from you. Have fun :)

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
ads are not the biggest sources of income on YouTube.

if you only want to interact with your most loyal fans and your "too good" for everyone else start a Facebook or twitter page for them. either disable or enable comments I see no reason to have a option for anything in-between. YouTube resources are better spend elsewhere imo

but you are obviously are not interested in having a conversion. really don't know why I took the time to give you this response conserving your attitude but im out have fun.

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you're against that you're an idiot. ...
I get an ignorant response from you.
Wow, his reply was totally innocuous. He agreed with some things, disagreed with other things, clarified what he was saying on certain points... he didn't get personal even in the slightest. You're completely out of line.

Asking him if he reads? hahaha okay.

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
that was aggressive but alright y'all

definitely let your subscribers know that you would appreciate them not using adblock on your channel! there are definitely websites that won't let you go further until you turn off your adblock, and i doubt that youtube would really lose out on people if they were to go the same route. it would definitely give their creators more money. i believe i read somewhere that most viewers are from the youtube app, so i would be interested in knowing how much money is really lost by adblock users!

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
My two cents:

Channel still makes money from the 7 second run at the beginning. Ad block exists and youtube can't stop it since they are in browsers as extensions and beyond control.

Subs should definitely get notified and bell should be eliminated as many don't know what it does (I live in a small town and people don't know what it is)

I don't agree that there should be an option to allow sub - only comments, that would alienate a lot of potential subs.

nickdodd.ca | NickDoddTV | twitter | instagram | YouTube