Which type of Thumbnail is better for a Let's Player?

Pat Simmons

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Please read the entire article
Is a live frame from each video better? or is the more artistic kind better? i.e.
This:

Versus
This:

And I mean as the background for the text and other overlays one uses.
What I'm looking for is what draws people in the most, not how easy one is to work with than the other.
Thanks!

TheTNGMen

I'm Just a Meme Machine
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Unless something very interesting is happening in the live frame, I tend to like the artistic frames much more~

Cabbage Hunters

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm personally a fan of consistency with thumbnails so viewers can easily distinguish your videos from others in the recommended bar. For example with our we always have a green background and then just change the text and image each time.

Between the two options presented though i'd say artistic. Screenshots from gameplay generally look lazy and don't really catch the eye.

Pat Simmons

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm personally a fan of consistency with thumbnails so viewers can easily distinguish your videos from others in the recommended bar. For example with our we always have a green background and then just change the text and image each time.

Between the two options presented though i'd say artistic. Screenshots from gameplay generally look lazy and don't really catch the eye.
Ironically though working with screenshots from gameplay takes more work than just overlaying your text on the art.

Cabbage Hunters

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah it does lol. It just doesn't have that same appeal, though, because the image gets so downsized that you can't tell whats going on.

Reactions: Pat Simmons

Camikazi Gamers

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel if the background is too busy it makes it hard to read need to find a good balance

Mishamy

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
It is usually preferred to have an artistic, or an edited thumbnail, since it usually looks much more professional.

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The more artistic one is better in my opinion. There are a lot of channels that will take a screen shot but if you go out of your way to change it up and find a specific picture that matches your video, I would personally be more inclined to check it out!