Where do youtube movie channels get their licences from?

zzzzzrush

Reaction score
There are some big channels out there who are putting out films very regularly. Where do they get the permission to host those videos? How do you buy a licence?

My interest is foreign horror and art, and my dream ambition would be to host a huge video library whilst getting paid, targeting English and non-English speakers. It's a pretty broad but niche field which I personally enjoy. Of course you'd need to pay the copyright holders to get paid though, which I'm willing to do.

I have a tiny movie channel where I upload these movies for fun. Yes it's wrong, I know that, but I rate them all 18+ plus, I have like 20 subscribers, so I'm not an evil pirate making money out of them. I'd like to of course, though the plan is to do that legitimately.

How do you go about this? Are there agents that sell these like packages? Or do you have to approach each copyright holder individually and bargain with them? How do movie channels do it?

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm hoping someone can answer your question because I've always wondered the same.

Have you tried approaching some of the bigger movie channels and asking how they do it?

zzzzzrush

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can answer your question because I've always wondered the same.

Have you tried approaching some of the bigger movie channels and asking how they do it?
Hi LandyVlad.
No, I'm already guessing a large company like Sony, Disney or Warner bros. are probably a) going to charge $5000 for the privilege and b) are deluged with requests like this already. My aim is to pay though I thought there are middlemen/agents that sell licences in bulk or that these movie channels either "know someone" and have easy access to licences, or they are even the licence holders themselves, just making a quick buck off YT marketing. So I am just asking around for the gist, really.

LandyVlad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You're making assumptions by 'guessing' what the companies may say or do

I think you are also making an assumption that they are deluged by requests. I think it's far more likely that a lot of YouTubers don't even think about it at all, and just use the footage assuming it to be "fair use". (It may well be, but I'm not qualified to say)

If you contact the companies what's the worst that could happen?
They'll either not respond (at least you'll be able to demonstrate that you asked) or they'll tell you under what conditions you can use footage from their films.

Nothing at all to lose.

My original sugeestion though was to approach some of the bigger YT movie channels and ask them what they needed to do.
Nothing to lose there either. Worst case they won't respond. Best case they'll tell you the answers you're looking for !