When to approach someone to Collab?

DanDaSimmer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
Hey everyone,

I'm at a point with my channel/ video uploading that I'd love to bring other people into my videos and collaborate. I live in Perth, which has quite a few YouTuber's I feel a connection towards and would like to work with.
However, I wonder if I'm out of my mind?
The Youtuber's that I'd like to collaborate have 250, 1k and even 10k subscribers! I like their content, and I know they live in an area very close to me BUT I have only just over 40 subscribers on my new 'Dan's Life' channel. Hm.

I'm wondering if I need to do collabs with smaller channels to fill in time and build my audience, and then approach Youtubers with 100's of subscribers? Obviously there are two reasons I want to collaborate
1. Network/ build relations
2. Build my own subscriber base

I guess the issue being that if I collaborate with someone who has 50 subscribers, what is the likelihood of their subscribers coming over to me? I'd say percentage wise it wouldn't be high, so whilst I've met and networked with a new creator, I haven't particularly increased my subscriber base. In contrast to collaborating with someone with hundreads of subscribers where I may actually see a significant increase in my subscriber base. But then, what am I offering my fellow collaborator? Not all 40 of my subscribers would also subscribe to them.

It seems though that if I'm waiting for a particular number of subscribers, I could be waiting for a long time? What do you all think is an appropriate time to approach another creator? On top of that, do you have tips on approaching a YouTuber to collab? I worry about striking up a friendship with them, knowing that I want to collaborate, but not bringing it up for months. Is that deceitful, or just good business practice?

Sorry for my ramblings. I hope this makes sense?
Thanks,
Dan

Coffee Nova

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Everyone is different so I can't say what their reaction would be being approached by someone that has fewer subs than them. Personally if I liked the person, their content, and thought we could get on well together I wouldn't care about sub counts. Networking is always great and can sometimes be better in the long run then a few extra subs. I think if someone has been around long enough to have 1k or more subs, they should recognize that.

If you feel you are ready to start reaching out then do it. Be friendly and be yourself (it is trite advice but true). Send them a message saying you like their content and ask if they would like to collab sometime. Point them to your stuff so they can get a read on what you do. If they aren't interested then you know and can focus on people that are.

I'd also recommend staying friendly with them even if the answer is no. Comment, like, share, all the usual stuff. Putting a little goodwill out there never hurt either. :)

Good luck.

Reactions: DanDaSimmer

Mr Danny

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think asking them to collaborate is not a bad idea: they may want to do it in which case GREAT or they make reject you and in that case IT'S FINE! Asking doesn't hurt.

ANDERZHD2k

Reaction score
You're welcome. I hope it works out for you. It can be scary approaching someone, just like it real life, but it is worth the try. Very worst they can say is no.
Do u want to make a collab with me

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved your thread to the strategy / technique forum. :)

To collab with bigger channels, you have to bring more to the table in terms of work on the video, scripting, editing etc etc. That's the only way it can stay win-win ( You do more of the work, they bring the audience)

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I would focus on figuring out how to grow steadily on your own first. Even if you did mange to collaborate with someone who has 10k subscribers and you got 100 subscribers off them, you'd still be back where you started. Think of it like winning a lottery. Most people who win the lottery loses their money within time because they never understood how money works. Similarly, those subscribers you gain, many will become inactive if you don't know what you're doing yet.

Now in the meantime develop a good eye scouting smaller Youtubers than yourself that are growing fast. These are the easiest people to develop a connection with. They'll look up to you in the mean time, so teach them as much as you can. When they surpass you in growth, you'll be able to much easily do a collaboration with them. But I would wait until you've figured out how to naturally grow first.

DanDaSimmer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
To collab with bigger channels, you have to bring more to the table in terms of work on the video, scripting, editing etc etc. That's the only way it can stay win-win ( You do more of the work, they bring the audience)
Wow, I never thought about bringing something else to the table to help out my chances/ offering more than just subscribers. Thanks for that great tip!

Reactions: Crown