What's the best type of font to use for a Thumbnail to draw attention?

BigBryanGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know clickbait (God, I hate that word) pretty much helps drive attention to your videos and channel. A lot of thumbnails I see have very engaging content. But some also have text that stands out. Is there a font any of you use on thumbnails that you feel really grabs attention? A type of font I see a lot is a fat yellow font and it stands out to me every time, but I don't know the name of that font.

Dig

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't think it has anything to do with a "magic YouTube font" or that any particular one is inherently better, it's just about making sure it pops when creating a thumbnail. The yellow is likely popular because it always kinda stands out in relation to the background image, it's not a very natural color and it's bright so it doesn't blend in. But really it's about making sure you MAKE it pop in every individual instance, just making sure it plays nicely with the thumbnail and is distinct enough to warrant attention, you can do that with pretty much any given font. As long as it's not overly stylized to the point of incoherence, has a nice contrast with the background and is big enough to be legible, you should be good to go

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I agree! Videos sometimes (If not most of the time) are popular because of the Thumbnail! There isn't one specific font that people are going to click. BUT there are things a lot of fonts have in common, and work on YouTube because of common factors. Like, they are easy to read. The yellow font you mentioned, its fat, and bold, making it easy to read. A load of viewers are browsing content on YouTube's Mobile platform. So keep that in mind. There's tons of websites you can use to get cool fonts. Try dafont or fontsquirrel. Good Luck! :)

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You want a font that is clear and bold. Impact is an often over used font, but it does the job. Also arial bold is good. Depends on your personal preference. I'd stay away from script styles as they don't show up very well, unless used in a specific way

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Personally I prefer no font, as in no text. I'm much less inclined to click on a video if it has text all over and shows a picture that isn't a screenshot from the actual video. Sometimes it is enough to prevent me from clicking on the video, even when I'm interested in the video from the title.

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
For most of my thumbnails I used website addtext.com it is very simple to use and I like the style "Block caps". Not sure what font is this but I like the white letters with this black border. It really helps for thumbnails to be readable even in a small thumbnail size. But from time to time you need to change something, not to be boring with same letters all the time ;)

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Do be honest I do not pay any attention to the font at all. Its either a thumbnail that will interest me or video title. Never ever have I click to watch a video because of the font :).

But hey since we live in the world were some people have sexual relations with their cars :( I would not be surprised if there are people with some sort of font fetish and if this is the audience you need for your videos then you should research font fetish to make sure you are using attractive font :cool:

ProfessionalRik

Gaming Culture's Icon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Usually whatever your signature font is; that's the best option.
Choose 1 or 2 fonts that become your main ones, then when people see it outside your channel, it sticks.

Also, I'd use impact. Looks important.

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
a font that's clear and a colour directly opposite on the colour wheel

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I started using Cooper Black, aka the Superdrag font. I put 2 layers of stroke to make it stand out a little more. Maybe it's worth a try