What types of ads should I enable to get maximum ad revenue?

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I just got accepted into YPP.

So I'm thinking about which types of ads I should allow.

I'm currently thinking about only allowing non-skippable video ads. The reason being that anyone who doesn't have an adblocker installed would necessarily provide me with monetized playbacks. An overlay ad isn't a monetized playback unless someone clicks on the ad (and speaking only for me personally, I've never even read a single word of an overlay ad; I just immediately went to close it out as soon as I saw it was there). Meanwhile, skippable video ads can be ... ya know ... skipped after just five seconds. The only people who are going to sit through the whole thirty seconds are those who willingly subject themselves to that much ad revenue in order to support their favorite creators ... the kind of people who aren't going to care about non-skippable ads anyway.

So 100% of views that don't come from adblocker-enabled viewers will be monetized playbacks if I only enable non-skippable ads.

Is my logic sound? Am I overlooking something?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You should enable them all. The non-skippable ads pay the most obviously but they are few and far between so many of your videos will sit there without any ads on them at all.

Enable all of them for a month and look at your data and then make your mind up based on actual data but I'm sure you'll see that the revenue from non skippable ads will make up less than 5% of your total revenue.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
If a non-skppable ad is available for a viewer, will youtube prioritize them over skippable ones?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If a non-skppable ad is available for a viewer, will youtube prioritize them over skippable ones?

YouTube will prioritize whatever earns them (and therefore you) the most money.