What recording equipment to use for outdoor interviews?

Purely Peña

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
So I have been doing a political series on my channel, and I am at the point I want to take my channel outdoors, for interviews with everyday people. Basically, I want to stop people on the street, tell them what I am trying to do, if they agree, then I have them sign a waiver, then I want to record their thoughts. Anyway, what equipment should I use to minimize outdoor sounds, like cars, wind, other people and such... I really am not too "tech savvy" and just want to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible. If I could buy like just ONE item to do my outdoor recording, I would be happy with that. I have never done this before and not sure what it entails. Thank you!

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A dead cat.

...No really

And DEAR GOD do not google that, or at least not google images.

This guy slips over your mic, and absorbs the impact of wind.

XboxDIY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
A dead cat.

...No really

And DEAR GOD do not google that, or at least not google images.

This guy slips over your mic, and absorbs the impact of wind.

^^^ What Ampix0 said.

Get a decent shotgun mic (if you have a DSLR).

If you don't have a DSLR, there is always the option of using an a cellphone and an auxiliary lapel mic, and then sync the audio up to the video after. It's not tough when you just have to overlay one over the other and then cut one out. That's what I used for most of my videos. Cost me $10 on Amazon and it's good quality. Might be more difficult if you have to pass it around however.

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
Lapel mic won't be good for on-the-fly interviews. You're better off just mounting a shotgun mic onto your camera, with a decent windshield (Like a dead cat, as mentioned above).

XboxDIY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Lapel mic won't be good for on-the-fly interviews. You're better off just mounting a shotgun mic onto your camera, with a decent windshield (Like a dead cat, as mentioned above).
Correct, like I mentioned.

However were not sure if she has a DSLR or $100+ laying around for a shotgun. Providing some alternatives that you can use in a pinch.

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
Correct, like I mentioned.

However were not sure if she has a DSLR or $100+ laying around for a shotgun. Providing some alternatives that you can use in a pinch.
Mmmm that's true. Don't necessarily need a DSLR for a shotgun, but yeah I get what you're saying. Accidently skipped over your last line "Might be more difficult if you have to pass it around however."
So I basically just repeated what you said haha whoops.

Reactions: XboxDIY

Ampix0

Web Design Tutorials
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's worth noting that the mic you see the interviewer hold in those types of videos are often fake. They really just use the shotgun some times

XboxDIY

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Mmmm that's true. Don't necessarily need a DSLR for a shotgun, but yeah I get what you're saying. Accidently skipped over your last line "Might be more difficult if you have to pass it around however."
So I basically just repeated what you said haha whoops.
haha no worries.

sir.penguin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
As long as you have a camera and a tripod, you just need a mic with a dead cat on top to protect against the wind (wind protecter not dead cat). I imagine that you'll have the camera on the tripod filming the interviewy as your holding the mic.
But you could just get a shot gun mic and put that on your camera

Purely Peña

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I am so getting a shotgun mic and a dead cat! Don't worry, I won't google "dead cat" lol!!!!

Reactions: Ampix0