What is wrong with Youtubes Recommendations?

Sandpitturtle

Reaction score
Hi,

I honestly just signed up to this space because of this and the fact it's just getting incredibly frustrating now.

What is happening is no matter what I watch, filter or tune. The recommended section on Youtubes homepage keeps showing irrelevant stuff.

I've heard and read from places in the past that this section and the way it works can be manipulated so to say in order to reflect content more suited to you. But this just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

There have been days where all I'm doing for a few minutes up to even an hour just trying to sort that area out.
For example, all I'm currently watching at the moment are Video Games (Mainly consisting of BloodBourne and Dark Souls or TBOI from Tear Of Grace + Random game footage from Markiplier), "Fail" videos from the stupid sort to the bone breaking painful, Chill / ChillStep or Rock / Metal mixes for when I'm gaming and Skyrim Mod Videos.
Now, there are times where a completely different video may catch my interest that I might watch fully or only a part of. But even so I am sure to filter it out after I'm done with it and they normally still relate to the core content I'm viewing anyway.

With this sort of viewing I would expect the recommendations to be based off the content that is currently the most viewed, liked and / or added to favourites by me. Hence being actual recommendations that should hold some shred of relevance.

So why is it that this system still persists on showing me completely irrelevant stuff? At times where the entire section is nothing in comparison as though I would be looking at another persons desired content.

I would then just sit here selecting "Not Interested", "Tell us Why", "Not Interested In Channel" and "Not interested on content based from -insert video here-" until it's sorted. Refresh the home page and BAM, same old story.
This would sometimes just keep happening to point I'm so fed up I just throw in the towel and walk away because it just won't go back to what is relevant.
As I'm writing this I currently have Vlog related videos, MEMES / "Cringe" content, movie related stuff, music by different channels like VEVO, unrelated Live recommendations despite the fact that has it's own section literally underneath!, cartoon footage that surely is copy righted, Speed runs for Games (I don't like this and never really watch anything related to it!) Reaction videos, Legal videos like freaking court stuff - Are you kidding me!?, "Clickbait" nonsense titles such as "THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND", I've even got something now showing how to remove dental plaque... Yes Youtube, I'm totally interested in all of this.

I see so many comments on some videos stating why is this in my recommended and so fourth. So what is actually going?

Sorry for the entire wall of rambling, I'm just pretty annoyed this nonsense keeps happening. Also thank you for reading this if you did and I'm sorry for any brain cells I might damage in the process.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Does anyone else use your computer/youtube login?

Sven Vee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It's just one of many ways of Youtube to steer you in a certain direction, probably has to do with advertiser friendly content and just in general more popular videos that advertisers might pay for to get their ads shown (which results in YT getting more $$ as well). Just my thoughts.
Oh and probably also because YT itself doesn't know how their algorithm works exactly so they just try their best to fix things even though they're mostly just winging it at this point. With all the machine learning and stuff.. :)

Sandpitturtle

Reaction score
It's just one of many ways of Youtube to steer you in a certain direction, probably has to do with advertiser friendly content and just in general more popular videos that advertisers might pay for to get their ads shown (which results in YT getting more $$ as well). Just my thoughts.
Oh and probably also because YT itself doesn't know how their algorithm works exactly so they just try their best to fix things even though they're mostly just winging it at this point. With all the machine learning and stuff.. :)
Isn't everything solely done by Google now and their developing algorithms?
It sucks big time with the whole advertisement issues causing everything to be changed, but it just seems to be messing everything up. Like in my example with the fact content, in this case the Live Videos, can not even be put in the correct categories. Another thing I didn't mention is when filtering videos as mentioned above there would be times where the exact same video would re-appear despite all ready being told no. (If these are related to one of these possible algorithms)[DOUBLEPOST=1503350263,1503313475][/DOUBLEPOST]Terrible recommendations.png history 1.png history 2.png history 3.png

Seriously, why is this so bad? I'm providing what my current recommendations are and my history for the majority of today. Can you honestly say the stuff shown is relevant? I only see one that would hold anything near a recommendation and that is the Skyrim one. Maybe the System Of A Down one because it's music I like, but even so, there has been nothing viewed to prompt that to appear.[DOUBLEPOST=1503350480][/DOUBLEPOST]Terrible recommendations.png history 1.png history 2.png history 3.png[DOUBLEPOST=1503350537][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't know how to get the correct size for images so sorry about that.