What is a good sponsorship deal?

Mobilae

Reaction score
Hi all,

I run a relatively small YouTube channel, about 6K subscribers. The subscriber count is still growing steadily though, and some of my videos are doing very well considering the amount of subs (in the 500k views range).

Recently I've received two sponsorship deals. Without getting into too much detail, my channel is related to hand tools. One of these sponsorship deals came from a gaming brand, and they basically wanted to send me a bunch of gaming related products (including one of those gaming chairs). The idea was that they would sponsor some of my new videos, and I would sit in their chair, thus promoting their products. Their products obviously have nothing to do with my channel and so I rejected their offer.

The second offer was by a tool company though. Right up my alley. I hadn't heard of this company before, so they agreed to send me some of their tools for free so I could try them out (no obligations whatsoever). I've been using their tools for a while now (not in videos) and I really like them. So their products are very closely related to my content, the quality is great and they seem to have a good reputation. In conclusion, I would be willing to promote their products.

But now comes the most important question: What is a good deal? Obviously, I'm not a huge channel and I feel like I can't ask too much. On the other hand, they are the ones that contacted me and they seem very interested in having their products in my videos. I just really don't know what a reasonable offer looks like when it comes to these things. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if I reached 50k subs in the next year (considering the rate at which the channel is growing). I feel like I should take that into account as well.

Anyway, I hope you guys can provide some guidance. Thanks in advance!

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
So - Congrats on your successes so far, it's quite an achievement.

So i think your were probably right to turn down the chair as it's not super related. Props to you for doing so as it's easy to accept free stuff.

So for your second one, i guess i would think of it slightly differently. to me a free sample with no restrictions is not a brand deal nor a sponsorship. but it does fall under advertising rules (in the UK at least). so providing you're honest and up front with your audience, i don't think anyone will complain.

A good deal is different to everyone. here's my good deal;
  1. i have to be interested in the subject matter
  2. my audience have to be interest in the subject matter
  3. my opinion cannot be brought, censored, or pre-reviewed or approved
  4. if the stuff is bad, and you think your viewers would like to know, you have to say it,
  5. If i receive any money, i will make it clear that i am being paid to do or show something, but not for my opinions on it.
  6. Reasonable to me is set at an hourly rate about how much time i think i would be putting into the video, plus any materials.
This is something that @Nicekid76 is planning to have as discussion in a meet up soon - https://yttalk.com/threads/⏩-online-youtuber-meet-up-⏩-may-26-2021.299236/page-2 would be great to have your input and views if you could make it?

Mobilae

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I think your requirements for a good deal make a lot of sense. As for my situation, I would say their proposal definitely matches bullet points 1-5.

The thing is, the free products they sent me were only intended to get me acquainted with their products. Now that I've 'approved' their products, we have to establish an actual deal. The idea is that I will promote their products and they will pay an amount of money for each video in which their products are featured. I however have absolutely no idea how much money is 'reasonable'. Any ideas on that?

crazy-logic

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
The thing is, the free products they sent me were only intended to get me acquainted with their products. Now that I've 'approved' their products, we have to establish an actual deal. The idea is that I will promote their products and they will pay an amount of money for each video in which their products are featured. I however have absolutely no idea how much money is 'reasonable'. Any ideas on that?
To me this sounds like advertising plain and simple. They've just picked someone cleverly who likes their products, by way of offering them trials. To me, i wouldn't accept the money if it came with the obligation to 'promote' their products. But if the money was to say, sponsor you to make a dog kennel or chicken coup, using some of their tools (but not exclusively), then you can separate your (now contractual) obligation from your opinion.

Jadennnnn

Reaction score
With 6k subs you got a sponsorship deal? Check your Gmail aiagin they are trying to hack your account, you gotta watch out for scams like that I have gotten tons of emails like that