What if i don't want someone to see my channel?

iimjoeyy

My friend doesn't want his mom to see his video's because he feels it would cause issues and he is a new video creator. We tried the blocking but it looks like she could still see the channel. Any idea's?

Dont post what your family or friends wouldn't appreciate seeing. You cant block people out from seeing them.

You can't block a specific person from seeing your videos. If there's a reason you don't want his mom to see it, there's probably also a reason why future employers shouldn't see it.

As a general rule: Don't post things on the internet that will harm your relationships. Don't post things that will ruin your career prospects.

Viral videos are fun but rare, and they don't make you a better person.

Dont post what your family or friends wouldn't appreciate seeing. You cant block people out from seeing them.
Okay thanks! I guess i'll just have to tell him the only way to hide from his mom is if he makes a new channel lol. She wants to post vlogs and sometimes weed related stuff. So he just doesn't want her to find out and all that stuff.[DOUBLEPOST=1450966329,1450966162][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can't block a specific person from seeing your videos. If there's a reason you don't want his mom to see it, there's probably also a reason why future employers shouldn't see it.

As a general rule: Don't post things on the internet that will harm your relationships. Don't post things that will ruin your career prospects.

Viral videos are fun but rare, and they don't make you a better person.
It's not really that I don't want his mom to see certain things. it's just him asking me since he's new. I never even thought about blocking someone from seeing my video's since i never had a reason to but now i know it's not possible. Also i totally agree with not posting something that can hurt you. Anyway thanks so much!

You mentioned that your friend wants to publish weed related videos. Although hes hitting a decent market blocking your mother or father from seeing your videos is near impossible. You can block them from commenting but thats it.

The best way around it that I can think of is by giving the marijuana a code name for when he has to mention it. For example when people say "Im feeling pretty medicated" rather than saying "I feel so high" high off what? Ecstasy? Cocaine? Use a code name for example "green" or "soil".

^ Parents are smart enough to know what's up if someone's saying that kind of stuff. My best advice is either hold off on that kind of content or do it without any vlogging/video of her in it. If she wants to talk about it over mic, and has some other video in the background (her playing games, or some slides about what she's talking about, or some pictures or other video that doesn't feature her) then at worst someone could find it and say that sounds like her, and she could just say it isn't.

Also advertising breaking the law online is a really bad idea, especially somewhere like YouTube where it's fairly easy to find out who you are if you aren't using a lot of precautions - this is doubly true if she's younger and still living with her parents. While talking about taking drugs isn't a crime, it can be used as grounds to get a search warrant, and if the house she lived in was busted into and drugs were found, the parents would be the ones going to jail not her, so it really isn't fair on them to take that kind of risk even if it's highly unlikely.

If the videos are just to share with a few individuals that she perhaps smokes with or whatever, then make the videos private and just share them with the people in question. If she wants to vlog about it publicly then really she wants to be living on her own - at which point she shouldn't be too concerned if her parents find it, because she's old enough to make her own choices and living in her own place so the consequences don't fall back on them.

Most parents wouldn't want you to drink, smoke cigs, smoke weed, or any of that - but if you're an adult, living on your own, being responsible, and paying for it out of your own money, they might not be pleased but they're probably not going to be as upset/angry as you'd think. If on the other hand you're not an adult yet, living with them, using their money to pay for it etc - then for obvious reasons they wouldn't be happy, and you're putting all the risk on them so they certainly have the right to be.

Just my 2c :)

Edit: I wrote her because I saw you put she at one point, but elsewhere you said he, so just substitute the she's for he's if it's a guy :p

Also as far as general channel privacy goes. Use a channel name rather than just using your real name as the name of your channel, keep any especially private videos private or unlisted and share them in the appropriate manner with only the people you want to see them, don't connect the name you use to your real name in any way.. If someone finds it and sees your face etc they're going to know its you, but the chances of that aren't all that high until you hit a very high subscriber count - unless the person in question is looking for the kind of videos you post to begin with, in which case if his mum is looking for videos about people toking up, she's probably not as against it as he thought. ;)

Back