What happens when i tick: "Set as official series for this playlist"?

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What does having the option "Set as official series for this playlist" do to the playlist? Whats the difference between a playlist with this on and one with it off?

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've really wondered this too. We only have the little blurb says next to the option says:

Use this setting for sets of videos uploaded to your channel as part of an official series. A video cannot appear in more than one series playlist. YouTube may use this information to modify how the videos are presented or discovered.
I'm willing to bet the official playlists are more likely to appear in search results.

Rails2Revolution

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As well as linking related videos in search results, it also directly helps relating the auto play next video as well as making sure its int he same order as the playlist.

Reactions: SeanFace101

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
As well as linking related videos in search results, it also directly helps relating the auto play next video as well as making sure its int he same order as the playlist.
^ This. I think that's what it's for, the autoplay function. If someone watches a video from a playlist, using the playlist link, then it'll autoplay the next video. However if they just get sent to that one particular video, and aren't viewing the video from within its playlist, then the "Autoplay" will likely just direct them to some other related video, rather than the next in the playlist.

I assume when you have it set as a series, this is no longer true, and people watching the video, even without being linked to the playlist itself, will automatically get sent to the next episode after one ends. I've noticed this behaviour with some shows on peoples channels where it automatically knows to go to the next episode even without the playlist link, and I think this is how.

SeanFace101

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the replies :D So, what is the best way to have videos in the playlist ordered? Newest at the top? or Newest at the bottom? :p