What do you think makes a video go viral?

Maarij Bashir

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Do you think it's 100% luck?
Do you think there some formula to increase the chances to make a viral video?

What are your opinions?

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not to long ago I got a new favorite YouTuber called Casey Neistat and I discovered him through a video of his that went viral.

A week or so later he actually went back and talked about it, he got 20 mil views in 7 days on that video. He states that it is impossible to craft one.

There are a few characteristics that a video need such as an interesting title, timing and it needs to be general to the public, a video that can almost everyone can relate to, also it should not be disgusting or have swear words to make it safe for "soccer moms" to share it with their friends.

There is to much factors that would make a video go viral and that is why you can't craft one. You just have to post the right video at the right time with most of these characteristics and it should go viral.

I would say its 50 - 75% luck and the rest is great production.

Go have a look at Casey Neistat's "THE $21,000 FIRST CLAAS AIRPLANE SEAT" it is the video that went viral and afterwards look at "MY BALDNESS" which he actually describes why it went viral.

but enough ranting, have a good one

Reactions: JV Trammell

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Production value is like 1%, lol. It's all about the luck. There's dozens upon dozens of videos that go viral just because it landed in the right person's hands. Example Jon Sudano has gotten over 200k subs in what a month? And all he does is sing smashmouth all-star while "covering" other songs. (IE Adele, Kanye, whatever). Production value equates to staring into a webcam and that is it, no cross country travel bs like Casey. (don't get me wrong, not hating on Jon... just sayin it's not the money that matters)

I would put it at 80% luck, 19% content, 1% production value. Your content initially has to be good enough to warrant "enjoyment" while going viral, then you need luck to go viral. Production value comes in for genres that can't have good content without spending for it.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Do you think it's 100% luck?
Do you think there some formula to increase the chances to make a viral video?

What are your opinions?
I made a video that is not the greatest in my opinion, but I forced it to get some views by getting a large platform to share it. For what the video is it has over 250k views and I think I have a bunch of better videos with way less than that. I used social media like Donald Trump, I paid nothing and got results just by a strategic post.

The key is the share worthy factor. Is your video something you would share with your friends like "oh you have to see this!" Being shared by others is what makes you go viral, so your video needs to have that factor that makes others decide the rest of the world should see it.
shared.jpg
views.jpg

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I made a video that is not the greatest in my opinion, but I forced it to get some views by getting a large platform to share it. For what the video is it has over 250k views and I think I have a bunch of better videos with way less than that. I used social media like Donald Trump, I paid nothing and got results just by a strategic post.

The key is the share worthy factor. Is your video something you would share with your friends like "oh you have to see this!" Being shared by others is what makes you go viral, so your video needs to have that factor that makes others decide the rest of the world should see it.
View attachment 38467
View attachment 38468
See it fits the description as to what Mr. Neistat said on his video

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Viral videos are extremely random and mostly short videos. You honestly can't knowingly create a viral video, it's just way too random.

SandMan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Viral videos are extremely random and mostly short videos. You honestly can't knowingly create a viral video, it's just way too random.
Well it depends because you get viral videos that are 10min + but mostly they are short ones. Something quick to watch and intresting