Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Creative training/assistance

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • (Better) representation

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Kai Micro

Reaction score
Don't have the look to front YouTube videos, but do have the resources, know-how and advertising connections to build channels. So I'm setting up an MCN, or rather, a studio to assist creative, entertaining, self-aware, up-and-comers in achieving success on YouTube. So I ask the yttalk community this:
What do you most yearn for in an MCN?

Jakewjj

Reaction score
So are you setting up an MCN, or a studio? Both are completely different things, haha.

In terms of what I look for in an MCN, all of the above. The problem nowadays is, most networks promise all of the above, but very few fulfill their duties faithfully.

Kai Micro

Reaction score
Good question. It's a hybrid of the two. Like a studio, I plan to source the funding, produce the content and write/direct, where necessary; but like an MCN I plan to grow the channels and negotiate deals with advertisers, brands et al.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Doing everything that you suggest you want to would take a full staff and millions of startup and investment dollars.... which leads to the biggest problems most networks seem to have- fulfilling their promises on smaller channels who don't earn them much return on investment.

There's a reason smaller channels often get forgotten, receive the same ads they normally would under AdSense, and get virtually no advertising- it's because all of that costs money, a lot of it. Doubly so if you plan to assist in the creative and production side of videos as well.

ScienceIsFun

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
None of those options really - maybe better representation?

If I signed to an MCN, I would be seeking one that could help further career - so an MCN that would offer an agent/manager to secure opportunities such as appropriate sponsorships or presenting spots/speaking gigs/other similar opportunities that would be hard to obtain without professional management. (but for something like that, it's probably best just to get an agent when the time is right without going through an MCN)

Reactions: Kai Micro

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Better revenue split for the content creators, no contracts, transparent ToS and free analytic tools.

The first three are usually "faked" by some MCNs.

Reactions: Kai Micro

Kai Micro

Reaction score
Better revenue split for the content creators, no contracts, transparent ToS and free analytic tools.

The first three are usually "faked" by some MCNs.
Thank you. This is quite helpful![DOUBLEPOST=1486902809,1486901615][/DOUBLEPOST]
Doing everything that you suggest you want to would take a full staff and millions of startup and investment dollars.... which leads to the biggest problems most networks seem to have- fulfilling their promises on smaller channels who don't earn them much return on investment.

There's a reason smaller channels often get forgotten, receive the same ads they normally would under AdSense, and get virtually no advertising- it's because all of that costs money, a lot of it. Doubly so if you plan to assist in the creative and production side of videos as well.
To some extent, I disagree. I think everything in this industry is about scale and testing. With a concept brief, treatments to a slate of 8 web-shows (channels) and a focused vision, I managed to secure, the necessary start-up capital (sub-$1M), through advertising presales, from 12 mid-cap companies/brands; with commitments to continue the arrangement, should the first seasons prove successful.

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Nothing, the only reason I have to deal with s****y MCNs is because they have access to CMS so that I can scan for reuploads of my content and be immune to content id scans via managed partners. Promotion/music/etc is all worthless to me and I could easily get that on my own, the only good thing that an mcn can offer is a higher payout (99% me 1% you).